- Title: Wladimir Klitschko announces retirement from boxing
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (APRIL 23, 2009) (REUTERS) (VIDEO IS 4:3 CONVERTED) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO WALKING ONTO OBSERVATION PLATFORM ON TOP OF EMPIRE STATE BUILDING WBA CHAMPION DAVID HAYE WALKING ONTO OBSERVATION PLATFORM WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO AND DAVID HAYE STANDING NEXT TO EACH OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO AND DAVID HAYE POSING WITH FISTS RAISED
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 14:36
- Keywords: Wladimir Klitschko David Haye Anthony Joshua
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Boxing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0056SLQN27
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: THIS EDIT CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Former heavyweight world champion Wladimir Klitschko announced his retirement from boxing on Thursday (August 3), ruling out a rematch with Briton Anthony Joshua.
The 41-year-old Ukrainian was knocked out by Joshua in the 11th round at Wembley Stadium in April.
Klitschko announced his retirement on his website (www.klitschko.com), and posted a video on his official Twitter account after his website's server broke down.
The Ukrainian fought to gather heavyweight titles from the various boxing federations until he added the WBA title in 2011 by defeating David Haye. He united the IBF, WBO and WBA titles as a result.
He suffered a shock defeat in 2015 when he lost the heavyweight champion of the world title to underdog Tyson Fury of Britain, defeated on points.
But the tale took another turn when Fury subsequently did not keep to his rematch or defence schedules, and failed drug tests. He was stripped of his titles and appears to have retired.
Klitschko came back as the title holder to fight Joshua in 2017 but was defeated.
Klitschko retires with a record of 64 wins, including 53 knockouts, and five defeats.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None