- Title: Neymar says he followed his heart, not the record money, to PSG
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: SIGN FEATURING BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR AND NEW PSG SIGNING, NEYMAR, WEARING PSG SHIRT
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 16:47
- Keywords: Neymar presentation Paris St German PSG money transfer fee Champions League
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SQRZUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT IS A HIGHER QUALITY EDIT, REPLACING 5118-SOCCER-NEYMAR/UNVEILING
Money was never the motivating factor for Neymar's record 222 million-euro ($261 million) transfer from Barcelona, the world's most expensive footballer said on his arrival at Paris St. Germain on Friday (August 4).
Before taking to the pitch at the Parc des Princes stadium to show off his skills and new PSG shirt, the Brazilian forward told reporters he had moved to France was because he "wanted a bigger challenge".
"I was following my heart, not considering the money," said the player who will reportedly be paid 45 million euros ($53 million) a year.
"What I think about is my happiness, how I want to be happy and together with my family, I want them to be happy (...) I'm really sad to hear that people still think that way."
The jaw-dropping deal is the first time that a world record transfer fee has been doubled in one swoop. The previous record was midfielder Paul Pogba's move last year from Juventus to Manchester United for 105 million euros.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.