- Title: Mexico hosts breastfeeding festival to tackle social stigma
- Date: 5th August 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS NUDITY*** MOTHER BREASTFEEDING HER BABY MOTHER BREASTFEEDING AND GIVING HER BABY A KISS
- Embargoed: 19th August 2017 21:49
- Keywords: breastfeeding festival Mexico City Mexico social stigma mothers feeding babies
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SVQ0JN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS NUDITY
Mothers in Mexico celebrated the UN's World Breastfeeding Week on Saturday (August 05) by attending a festival to promote maternal milk amidst a social stigma that has seen mum's turn increasingly to formula.
According to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), some 7 million children under the age of five die from preventable causes. But such mortality rates could be halved with early breastfeeding.
But social stigma of public breastfeeding and the busy lifestyles of working mothers have seen many families turn to formula milk. These Mexican mums want to make a statement that breast milk is best.
According to the United Nations, breastfed children have at least six times greater chance of survival in the early months than a non-breastfed child.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None