- Title: Philippines' Duterte leads closing of ASEAN summit
- Date: 8th August 2017
- Summary: DUTERTE ENTERING MEETING ROOM DUTERTE USHERING FOREIGN MINISTERS TO TAKE SEATS VARIOUS OF MEETING WITH FOREIGN MINISTERS IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2017 07:16
- Keywords: Rodrigo Duterte ASEAN foreign ministers ASEAN closing ceremony
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056TAPR9H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte led the closing ceremony of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) on Tuesday (August 8), capping off the three-day ministerial meeting with 27 foreign ministers.
Duterte, the rotating chair of this year's ASEAN gathering, gave his closing remarks and said he hoped for a region free of corruption and crime. He later met with the ASEAN foreign ministers for a courtesy call.
North Korean missile tests and South China Sea disputes topped the agenda at this year's security summit. Japan's foreign minister Taro Kono told reporters that "heated discussions" had taken place on the issues on Monday (August 7), and that most countries believed U.N. sanctions on Pyongyang should be fully implemented.
During talks this weekend, foreign ministers from Southeast Asia and China also adopted a negotiating framework for a code of conduct in the South China Sea, a move they hailed as progress but seen by critics as a tactic to buy China time to consolidate its maritime power.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None