- Title: Hundreds of tourists stranded in airport by deadly China earthquake
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: SONGPAN COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF JIUZHAI HUANGLONG AIRPORT SIGN READING (Chinese and English): "DOMESTIC DEPARTURES 3" / PEOPLE WALKING INTO AIRPORT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CAMPING OUT INSIDE TERMINAL PEOPLE CAMPING OUT IN TERMINAL WHILE OTHERS WALK BY PEOPLE SITTING AND LYING ON THE GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 33-YEAR-OLD TOURIST FROM CHINA'S NORTHEASTERN CHANGCHUN CITY, LI CAI, SAYING: "I heard from two other passengers that the coach before theirs turned over, and passengers on their coach had to walk here. So we have to figure it out by ourselves. The roads are blocked and not open to traffic. Now there should be no other methods (to leave here) except by plane. Taking a taxi outside at pretty high price is very dangerous, as it has to go through Mao county, in which a landslide took place recently and made us cancel our trip." PEOPLE LYING AND LOOKING AT SMARTPHONES WOMAN SPRAYING HER FACE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 73-YEAR-OLD TOURIST FROM CHINA'S SOUTHERN SHENZHEN CITY, LIU JUYING, SAYING: "The car was supposed to head towards Jiuzhai Heaven Hotel, but they (the driver) took a look and said 'auntie, there's an earthquake!' My daughter asked what quake, they said 'it's an earthquake, we can't go ahead'. Fortunately they didn't go, it would all be over if we managed to get to the hotel." VARIOUS OF FREE FOOD AND WATER PLACED ON TABLE SIGN READING (Chinese): "SONGPAN TAXI PROVIDES FOOD AND CARS FOR ALL RESCUERS FOR EARTHQUAKE RELIEF, YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING HARD!"
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 08:13
- Keywords: earthquake Sichuan death search and rescue tourists
- Location: SONGPAN COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: SONGPAN COUNTY, NGAWA PREFECTURE, SICHUAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFPRUT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people were stranded at the Jiuzhai Huanglong Airport on Wednesday (August 9) after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck a remote, mountainous part of China's southwestern province of Sichuan and killed 19 people.
A few dozen tourists were camping out at the airport waiting for flights. The airport was open but many of the flights were delayed.
The quake hit a sparsely populated area 200 km (120 miles) northwest of the city of Guangyuan late on Tuesday (August 8) at a depth of 10 km (6 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was also close to the Jiuzhaigou nature reserve, a tourist destination.
Six tourists were among those killed, according to the official China News Service, while 247 were injured.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None