- Title: Kenyatta supporters celebrate election victory
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD OF INCUMBENT PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA SUPPORTERS CELEBRATING WOMAN WITH VUVUZELA SINGING SECURITY / KENYATTA SUPPORTERS DANCING VARIOUS OF KENYATTA SUPPORTERS DANCING, SINGING AND WAVING FLAGS SUPPORTER WEARING A MASK OF KENYATTA'S FACE VARIOUS OF OLD LADIES DANCING AND SINGING
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 22:03
- Keywords: Kenya elections Kenyatta wins celebrations Nairobi dancing cheering
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPRSXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta secured a second term in office, results showed on Friday (August 11), setting off wild street celebrations by his supporters and protests in opposition strongholds in the capital and the west of the country.
Speaking after the result of Tuesday's election was announced, Kenyatta offered an olive branch to the opposition, urging national unity and peace with rivals who have rejected the result and raised the prospect of street protests.
Many Kenyans fear a repeat of the violence that followed the 2007 disputed election, when about 1,200 people were killed and hundreds of thousands displaced as protests over the result led to ethnic killings.
Kenyatta got 54.3 percent of the vote, ahead of rival Raila Odinga who secured 44.7 percent, according to election commission figures. Nearly 80 percent of the 19 million registered voters cast their ballots.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.