- Title: Egypt train crash kills 36, injures more than 100
- Date: 11th August 2017
- Summary: ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT (AUGUST 11, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED NEAR TRAIN WRECKAGE ON RAILWAY TRACKS PEOPLE LOOKING INSIDE WRECKED TRAIN CARRIAGE GARMENTS HANGING OUT WINDOW OF TRAIN CARRIAGE PEOPLE SEARCHING WRECKAGE EXTERIOR OF BURNED OUT CARRIAGE OFFICIALS LOOKING AT WRECKED CARRIAGE DRINK BOTTLES AND GARMENTS ON THE GROUND NEAR TRAIN WRECKAGE PEOPLE GATHERING NET TO AMBULANCES AT CRASH SITE
- Embargoed: 25th August 2017 16:39
- Keywords: Alexandra train crash near Khorshid station Cairo train collision Egypt train crash
- Location: ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT
- City: ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TPR8EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 36 people were killed and more than 100 injured after a train crash in Egypt, a health ministry spokesman said on Friday (August 11).
Two trains collided in the coastal city of Alexandria, near the suburban Khorshid station en route to Cairo, derailing the engine of one train and two cars of the other, the Egyptian Railway Authority said.
A railroad switching error was the most likely cause of the collision, according to a security source.
State newspaper al-Ahram said 36 bodies had arrived at hospital morgues in Alexandria province and reported that the public prosecutor Nabil Sadek had ordered an urgent investigation.
A medical official told state TV some wounded people were still stuck in the trains.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None