- Title: Thousands attend famous fireworks show above Lake Geneva
- Date: 13th August 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (AUGUST 12, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) FIREWORKS SHOW IN PROGRESS WITH "SKYFALL" SONG FROM ADELE VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS SHOW IN PROGRESS WITH COLDPLAY SONG FIREWORKS SHOW IN PROGRESS WITH LASERS ON A BOAT AND PHARREL WILLIAMS' SONG "HAPPY" VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS SHOW IN PROGRESS WITH MICHEAL JACKSON'S SONG "BAD" AND WATER JET ILLUMINATED
- Embargoed: 27th August 2017 01:48
- Keywords: Fireworks Geneva fireworks show festival mount blanc Switzerland lake Lac Leman
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0036TZNBD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of the world's greatest firework displays, the final flourish of the annual summer festival in Geneva, amazed an audience of thousands on Saturday (August 12).
The breath-taking show above Lake Geneva lasted for 50 minutes and featured a variety of sequences set to music.
Created 94 years ago, Les FÃªtes de GenÃ¨ve, the Geneva Festival, is a 10-day event held annually in the early days of August and welcomes music concerts and shows, street performers and rides. This is the most important touristic event in Switzerland with around 1.2 million people attending the festival every year.
According to Bernard Cazaban, a spokesman for the festival, many tourists, mostly from Middle East countries but also from United States, United Kingdom and Switzerland's neighbour, France, attend the event as it is one of the best in the world.
From August 3 to August 10, security measures have been reinforced with check points and even concrete blocks on the road, closing some areas to cars.
This year, for the first time, the famous Geneva water jet was part of the show, which pleased many spectators.
Next year, the people of Geneva will vote to decide if the festival will be reduced to only one week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.