- Title: Thousands attend famous fireworks show above Lake Geneva
- Date: 13th August 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (French) GENEVA FESTIVAL SPOKESPERSON, BERNARD CAZABAN, SAYING: "This festival is very international, first because it is very famous, thanks to its great musical fireworks, which lasts almost an hour, and there is not a lot fireworks like this elsewhere in the world, so this is a place for fireworks fans, they know it, and they come." VARIOUS OF LARGE FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (French) GENEVA FESTIVAL SPOKESPERSON, BERNARD CAZABAN, SAYING: "In total, the budget for security is pretty important, it costs us almost 500,000 CHF (519,000 USD), but it was always the case, which means there is a security device that has been reinforced but in way that now, we have a really sharp, global and steady look, because since a few years, times have changed, of course." VARIOUS OF CONCRETE BLOCKS ON ROAD WITH POLICE GENEVA LAKE DURING SUNSET
- Embargoed: 27th August 2017 01:48
- Keywords: Fireworks Geneva fireworks show festival mount blanc Switzerland lake Lac Leman
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0026TZNBD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of the world's greatest firework displays, the final flourish of the annual summer festival in Geneva, amazed an audience of thousands on Saturday (August 12).
The breath-taking show above Lake Geneva lasted for 50 minutes and featured a variety of sequences set to music.
Created 94 years ago, Les FÃªtes de GenÃ¨ve, the Geneva Festival, is a 10-day event held annually in the early days of August and welcomes music concerts and shows, street performers and rides. This is the most important touristic event in Switzerland with around 1.2 million people attending the festival every year.
According to Bernard Cazaban, a spokesman for the festival, many tourists, mostly from Middle East countries but also from United States, United Kingdom and Switzerland's neighbour, France, attend the event as it is one of the best in the world.
From August 3 to August 10, security measures have been reinforced with check points and even concrete blocks on the road, closing some areas to cars.
This year, for the first time, the famous Geneva water jet was part of the show, which pleased many spectators.
Next year, the people of Geneva will vote to decide if the festival will be reduced to only one week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None