- Title: New Yorkers wish for luck in $700-million Powerball lottery jackpot
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 23, 2017) (REUTERS) ZOOM OUT FROM NEWSSTAND'S HANDWRITTEN SIGN READING (English): "POWERBALL 700" TO CUSTOMER BUYING POWERBALL TICKET CUSTOMER GIVING THUMBS UP SIGN AS HE TAKES HIS POWERBALL TICKET TO VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BUYING POWERBALL TICKETS SCREEN READING (English): "POWERBALL JACKPOT IS NOW $700 MILLION" SCREEN READING (English): "$700 MILLION, NEXT JACKPOT WED AUG 23 2017" WOMAN BUYING POWERBALL TICKET MAN HOLDING UP TWO POWERBALL TICKETS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ERIC DAVIS, POWERBALL PLAYER, SAYING: "I would spread it out in a lot of places, I'm a financial advisor. I would probably put about $100 million in triple tax free bonds, I'd put $50 million into my own investment fund because I make good money on my investments in the fund. I would definitely travel, do some more traveling, invest in some real estate, upgrade my living, my home, certainly set up my family and give some back. Give some back to charity, no doubt about it." POWERBALL PLAYER, BRAD FIRMINGER, HOLDING UP POWERBALL TICKETS (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRAD FIRMINGER, POWERBALL PLAYER, SAYING: "Well I know the government's going to be very happy with the taxes, no doubt about that. What I'd do with it? I'd be giving a lot of it away, absolutely. What are you going to do with all that money? Give it to people who need it, friends, relatives, strangers, why not?" POWERBALL PLAYER, BRUCE, BUYING ONE POWERBALL TICKET (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRUCE, POWERBALL PLAYER, SAYING: "Give a lot of it to my kids, pay off my bills and live my life. I'm not going to be all that much different." CUSTOMER BUYING POWERBALL TICKETS CLOSE UP OF POWERBALL TICKET
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 20:06
- Keywords: lottery tickets drawing Powerball gambling chance lotto
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016VDPD8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The odds against winning are astronomical, but millions of Americans will be hoping for some life-altering luck on Wednesday (August 23) night when winning numbers are drawn for the second-highest jackpot in the history of the Powerball lottery. A winning ticket could bring the holder an estimated $700 million windfall, a prize topped only by a January 2016 $1.56 billion Powerball jackpot, the world's largest lottery reward ever.
In New York City on Wednesday, newsstand owner Andy Patel welcomed Powerball lottery ticket buyers as they dreamed about what they would do if they won.
The drawing is set for 10:59 p.m. ET (0259 GMT Thursday) in Tallahassee, Florida, when five of 69 white balls and one of 26 red balls - the Powerball - will be randomly selected to form the six numbers a single ticket must have to take the jackpot.
The odds of a ticket having all six winning numbers do not change no matter how big the jackpot is. They are 292.2 million-to-1, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association. The estimated jackpot is $700 million only if the winner agrees to get 30 payments over 29 years. If a one-time payout is chosen, the jackpot is an estimated $443.4 million.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None