- Title: China's Xi says BRICS must promote open world economy
- Date: 3rd September 2017
- Summary: CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING WALKING INTO THE CONFERENCE ROOM XI WALKING IN THE ROOM ATTENDEES WATCHING VARIOUS OF XI WALKING ONTO THE STAGE FOR SPEECH
- Embargoed: 17th September 2017 12:28
- Keywords: BRICS Xi Jinping China economy development forum summit Xiamen
- Location: XIAMEN CITY, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: XIAMEN CITY, FUJIAN PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026X1JEBP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The BRICS group of emerging economies must promote trade liberalisation and an open world economy, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Sunday (September 3), opening a business meeting at a three-day summit in southeastern China.
The heads of state from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa will gather in the city of Xiamen through Tuesday (September 5), giving China as host its latest chance to position itself as a bulwark of globalisation in the face of U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda.
BRICS leaders will be joined by observer countries Thailand, Mexico, Egypt, Guinea and Tajikistan, and officials will discuss a "BRICS Plus" plan to possibly expand the bloc to new members.
Among the observers, Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto is set to be in China to discuss trade and investment, as Trump has renewed threats to scrap the 23-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that he has labelled a killer of U.S. jobs.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.