- Title: New York files lawsuit protecting DACA beneficiaries
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 6, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEW YORK ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC SCHNEIDERMAN WALKING TO STAGE
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 21:12
- Keywords: New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman DACA immigrants immigration
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XGN6FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to end protections and benefits for young people who were brought into the United States illegally as children faces a legal challenge from New York and other states.
New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced on Wednesday (September 6) a multistate lawsuit to protect beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, also known as DACA.
Speaking at New York City's John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Schneiderman said, "This afternoon I'm announcing that New York has joined together with a coalition of 15 states and the District of Columbia... to try to stop this un-American, destructive effort."
The attorney general said the lawsuit is based on Trump's "unconstitutional, discriminatory animus" towards Mexicans and Latinos.
Legal experts have said that court challenges to Trump's actions could face an uphill battle, since the president typically has wide authority when it comes to implementing immigration policy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.