- Title: Russia, Japan "decisively condemn" N. Korea missile launch
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: VLADIVOSTOK, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 7, 2017) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN AND JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE AT NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "We have strongly condemned the launch by North Korea of a medium-range missile which flew over Japan territory on August 28 as well as new nuclear tests carried out on September 3. With its actions PyongYang of course represents a threat to peace and stability in the entire region." MEDIA PUTIN AND ABE AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "I have confirmed to the Prime Minister our position that the settlement on the Korean peninsula and especially resolution of nuclear problem are possible only through political and diplomatic means. (JAPANESE PM ABE) First of all it is necessary to defuse tension and then to establish dialogue between (SHOT OF ABE AND PUTIN) all interested parties as it is proposed in particular in the Russian-Chinese road map (PUTIN IN SHOT) of step be step settlement." PUTIN AND ABE AT NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "During today's meeting with President Putin we had a profound exchange of views on North Korea which poses a serious that demands urgent reaction. Nuclear tests conducted by North Korea are serious threat to peace and security on the Korean peninsula and to the region, they pose serious challenge to the global non-proliferation regime." OFFICIALS AND MEDIA LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "Our views on the situation are the same. I decisively condemn North Korea for its nuclear missile launch and its largest in the world's history nuclear test. If North Korea continues to follow that path, it will not have a bright future. It is necessary to bring this idea to North Korea's attention and to force it to change its policy. Japan and Russia came to the common conclusion that we will cooperate in the future including in the U.N. Security Council, too." MEMBERS OF JAPANESE OFFICIALS ABE AND PUTIN SAYING "THANK YOU", STANDING UP, SHAKING HANDS, LEAVING
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 13:03
- Keywords: Russia Japan North Korea Putin North Korea Abe North Korea
- Location: VLADIVOSTOK, RUSSIA
- City: VLADIVOSTOK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016XLKEO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday (September 7) that he and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe decisively condemned North Korea's launch of a ballistic missile that flew over Japan.
Putin reiterated that the crisis around North Korea should be resolved only by political means, and that it posed a threat to peace and stability in the region.
He called for the crisis to be resolved through a roadmap proposed by Moscow and Beijing.
Abe said that Russia and Japan "came to the common conclusion to cooperate in the future including in the U.N. Security Council."
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None