- Title: Trial starts on Russian director Serebrennikov accused of embezzlement
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (FILE - MAY 9, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MAN ON RED CARPET CARRYING BANNER READING (English): "FREE SEREBRENNIKOV", WHICH IS TAKEN AWAY BY SECURITY GUARD VARIOUS OF CAST OF SEREBRENNIKOV'S MOVIE "LETO" POSING WITH BADGES BEARING FACE OF SEREBRENNIKOV AND POSTER WITH HIS NAME
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 09:46
- Keywords: Russia theatre Russia art Serebrennikov Serebrennikov court Russia court Cannes Leto Cannes Serebrennikov
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA / CANNES, FRANCE
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA / CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA00295IAVK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian court started hearing of the embezzlement case against a theatre and film director Kirill Serebrennikov on Wednesday (November 7).
Serebrennikov has already spent over a year under a house arrest.
Another suspect in the case producer Alexei Malobrodsky was also present in the court room.
Investigators say Serebrennikov led a criminal group and embezzled at least 68 million rubles ($1.15 million) in state funds earmarked for an art project.
Serebrennikov, art director at Moscow's avant-garde Gogol Center theater, faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty. He says the funds were used to stage bona fide productions.
His case has raised an outcry among the liberal cultural elite who say they fear the director is being persecuted for his work.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None