- Title: Banksy creates replica separation wall for London travel fair
- Date: 5th November 2018
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (NOVEMBER 5, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BANKSY SEPARATION WALL REPLICA INSTALLATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANAGER OF "THE WALLED OFF HOTEL, WISSAM SALSA, SAYING: "The separation wall is more than 10 meters high. Of course, it is higher than what you see over here. The wall is not broken but, in the replica, that Banksy made here, it is a broken wall, and I think he is kind of making a statement that one day this wall will fall, not remain as it is." BROKEN RUBBLE PAN FROM FLOOR TO INSTALLATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) PALESTINIAN TOURISM MINISTER, RULA MA'AYAH, SAYING: "Focusing on this here on this stand, it gives an idea on what is going on, on the ground in Palestine. How Palestinians are suffering because of the Israeli occupation in Palestine. This will make more and more people know about Palestine and about the separation wall itself." VARIOUS OF ART ON REPLICA WALL PEOPLE TAKING PHOTOS PEOPLE IN FRONT OF REPLICA WALL PEOPLE TAKING LEAFLETS FOR "THE WALLED OFF HOTEL" PEOPLE DRINKING TEA WITH WALL IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN WORLD TRAVEL FAIR REPLICA WALL BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (RECENT - OCTOBER 22, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BANKSY GRAFFITI "ANGELS" ON WEST BANK BARRIER SURVEILLANCE CAMERA ON TOP OF WEST BANK BARRIER VIEW OF WATCH TOWER BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (RECENT - OCTOBER 23, 2018) (REUTERS) VIEW OF THE WEST BANK BARRIER IN FRONT OF THE WALLED OFF HOTEL / ENTRANCE OF HOTEL WITH BANKSY'S MONKEY STATUE NEXT TO FRONT DOOR INSIDE THE WALLED OFF HOTEL LOBBY BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (RECENT - OCTOBER 22, 2018) (REUTERS) BANKSY PRINT OF CHILDREN ON WATCH TOWER SWING BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (RECENT - OCTOBER 23, 2018) (REUTERS) VIEW OF BANKSY'S PRINT "RAGE, FLOWER THROWER" WALL MURAL OF BANKSY OF AN ISRAELI SOLDIER AND MASKED PALESTINIAN HAVING A PILLOW FIGHT, IN ONE OF THE HOTEL ROOMS BANKSY'S ART ON THE WALL READING "ER SORRY" VIEW OF WALLED OFF HOTEL NEXT TO WEST BANK BARRIER
- Embargoed: 19th November 2018 16:51
- Keywords: Banksy The Walled Off Hotel wall West Bank art travel
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001958C09L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British artist Banksy has created a replica of a separation wall dividing territories in Bethlehem, as part of an installation at a travel fair in London.
The installation is on display at the World Travel Fair at London's Excel centre, at a stand promoting tourism to Palestine.
The artist's Walled Off Hotel is situated a few meters (yards) from Israel's separation barrier and Banksy has described the guesthouse as having the worst view of any hotel in the world. Every room looks out at the forbidding wall.
"In the replica that Banksy made here, it is a broken wall, and I think he is kind of making a statement that one day this wall will fall," the hotel's manager said at the exhibit in east London.
Israel says the barrier that cuts through the West Bank, which is part wall and part fence, is a bulwark against Palestinian attackers. Palestinians see it as a symbol of oppression.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None