- Title: O'Rourke's supporters frustrated after defeat by Ted Cruz
- Date: 7th November 2018
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS PROFANITY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) EILEEN LOZANO, 29-YEARS-OLD, FROM EL PASO, SAYING: "Incredibly sad, I feel like Texas as a state doesn't give a shit about minorities or women or gun control or immigrants, I feel like Beto campaigned throughout all 254 counties and if not him then who?" (SOUNDBITE) (English) HECTOR CALVILLO, 48-YEARS-OLD, FROM EL PASO, SAYING: "I'm feeling disappointed, I'm feeling that the United States we are not ready for the truth, we are not ready to take a chance on reality, we are still buying into the same old game and it is very disappointing." (SOUNDBITE) (English) EMMA SOLIS SANCHEZ, 43-YEARS-OLD, SAYING: "Well we have lost our core values in the United States and this is just the beginning of a positive momentum in the United States where we need to all be active and take, you know, voice our opinions through our votes and this is just the beginning, and you know, we have to fight harder next time and we have to just continue this change for the positive for the common good of all people." (SOUNDBITE) (English) FLORD JOHNSON, 46-YEARS-OLD, EL PASO RESIDENT, SAYING: "I think this is a lot of hope, like we all came together, and we communed with everything we were supposed to come together with. But, I think this is good news, as upset as I am, as disillusioned as I am, it's horrible."
- Embargoed: 21st November 2018 12:21
- Keywords: Beto O'Rourke supporters Texas senate defeat Ted Cruz Democrat
- Location: EL PASO, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- City: EL PASO, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00295IBOSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Republican incumbent Ted Cruz beat out Democratic star Beto O'Rourke in a surprisingly close race in the historically red state. In El Paso, O'Rourke's supporters expressed frustration over his loss.
"I feel like Texas as a state doesn't give a shit about minorities or women or gun control or immigrants, I feel like Beto campaigned throughout all 254 counties and if not him then, who?" said Eileen Lozana.
Cruz received a boost after U.S. President Donald Trump endorsed him and praised him at rally in Houston.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None