- Title: Hundreds of migrants depart Mexico City to continue onwards toward U.S.
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (NOVEMBER 09, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS, MIGRANTS ASSEMBLING TO DEPART TEMPORARY SHELTER AT A SPORTS COMPLEX IN MEXICO CITY MIGRANTS FILE INTO MEXICO CITY METRO STATION TO BEGIN THEIR JOURNEY NORTH CROWD IN METRO STATION MIGRANTS ENTER METRO TRAIN MIGRANTS SEATED ON TRAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HONDURAN MIGRANT, MIGUEL ANGEL CRUZ, SAYING: "If they don't want to give us buses, it doesn't matter. It's called a trek, not a bus caravan. [JOURNALISTS ASKS: How many people are leaving?] At least 2,000 or 3,000 of us are leaving. And, at 10:00 more are leaving, we're going, that's how it's going to be, that's how we've always done it." MIGRANTS ON METRO MIGRANTS EXIT METRO TRAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HONDURAN MIGRANT, RONI SUAZO, SAYING: "The green vests (Mexico City government officials) have mislead us, the leaders have mislead us, since we came from the south. Since we were in Juchitan (town in Oaxaca state), they've mislead us about buses, that there would be some and we were waiting for them there like crazy people. We're hungry, we can't keep waiting, we're moving on, since our mission is to go to the U.S., not Mexico." GENERAL VIEW, EXTERIOR METRO STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENT OF MEXICO CITY'S HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION, NASHIELI RAMIREZ, SAYING: "So, we wanted to let you know that there were some changes, the assembly decided to stay here one more day, we in the city (government) haven't stopped anything, breakfast is being prepared for everyone and it will continue until they leave. We haven't stopped any (services) at all." VARIOUS, MEXICAN POLICE OUTSIDE SHELTER MIGRANTS AT METRO STATION
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 15:30
- Keywords: migrant caravan immigration emigration asylum refugees Mexico Honduras
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SBL8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several hundred migrants departed a temporary shelter at a sports complex in Mexico City in the early hours Friday (November 09) morning after growing restless to continue the journey north towards the United States.
Migrants assembled outside a nearby metro station in the Mexican capital and boarded trains to restart their journey, as thousands have been resting and recuperating at the sports complex over the past several days.
The migrants leave Mexico City just as U.S. President Donald Trump signed a proclamation on Friday (November 09) suspending the entry of migrants through the U.S. southern border between ports of entry for 90 days.
The proclamation, taken together with a regulation issued by the Trump administration on Thursday (November 08), will bar migrants who cross the U.S. border with Mexico illegally from receiving asylum in the United States.
Trump's proclamation does not apply to unaccompanied alien children, according to U.S. officials said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None