- Title: Macron visits former mining northern France and discusses poverty
- Date: 9th November 2018
- Summary: LOOS-EN-GOHELLLE, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON AND SECONDARY SCHOOL PUPILS WALKING UP SLAGHEAP MACRON TALKING TO OFFICIAL MACRON LOOKING OUT SCENERY SEEN FROM SLAGHEAP MACRON TALKING TO SECONDARY SCHOOL PUPILS (SOUNDBITE) (French) UNIDENTIFIED SCHOOL PUPIL ASKING MACRON A QUESTION, SAYING: "If one day we had to do it all again because we don't have enough slagheaps, will the children have to work in that sector?" MACRON SAYING: "No" (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Ways of production have changed. When you hear about the environment and ecology it is because we produce in order to pollute less, to use fewer resources from our planet and do things differently and in a less arduous way. We won't send the children to the mine to work, on the contrary. The world we are preparing is one where we teach young people basic knowledge, so they can choose their own lives and then move towards a career which they've chosen." MACRON AND CHILDREN ON SLAGHEAP SLAGHEAP LENS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2018) (REUTERS) MACRON ENTERING HALL IN SOCIAL WELFARE CENTRE VARIOUS OF MACRON GREETING FAMILIES PARTICIPATING IN ACTIVITIES IN SOCIAL WELFARE CENTRE MACRON LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Everyone should bear in mind that the beginnings of failure at school or at work is self-doubt. What strikes me is the number of people of all ages who say, 'I wanted to do this when I was 15, 16 years old, and someone stopped me'." AUDIENCE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "For me, this is fundamental: it's not a question of one or the other. It's not a closed box. It's a whole societal project. Meaning we cannot succeed economically, if we are not able to pull everyone up socially and for everyone to take their part in this success. And for me there is no sealed fate, neither socially or geographically." MACRON BEING APPLAUDED
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2018 13:57
- Keywords: Macron poverty mining northern France
- Location: LOOS-EN-GOHELLE & LENS, FRANCE
- City: LOOS-EN-GOHELLE & LENS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00195SBFPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron visited a former mining town in northern France on Friday morning (November 9) to speak about poverty.
The north of France once hosted a thriving mining industry but now has high rates of unemployment and poverty.
At the top of a slagheap - the scars of the once flourishing industry - Macron met secondary school pupils.
He began the day with a visit to a social centre in Lens where he talked about curbing poverty in the region.
Macron, who is carrying out a week-long memorial tour to mark 100 years since the end of World War One, has had to face angry fellow citizens on matters such as high costs of living and unemployment in parts of France where the far-right has historically fared well.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None