- Title: U.S. foreign policy in Trump's first two years: 'Our country is respected again'
- Date: 7th December 2018
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 19, 2018) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN, GENG SHUANG, SAYING: "The U.S. on one hand clamours for talks, but on the other hand imposes tariffs. On one hand it sent out an invitation for negotiation, on the other, it followed up by putting on extreme pressure. This pattern of doing things has become a convention for the U.S. for China, this U.S. routine is as clear as a flame and we will handle the situation calmly. I want to emphasise that firstly, the United States' threats, intimidation and blackmail won't work on China. China will continue to promote reform and opening up in accordance with its own timetable and in its own way, protect the country's legitimate rights." U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping broker a trade war truce at G20 dinner, agreeing to halt additional tariffs with fresh talks aimed at reaching an agreement within 90 days.
- Embargoed: 21st December 2018 18:31
- Keywords: tariffs UK COP24 Brexit sanctions trade war Nuclear Netanyahu Rouhani nuclear deal Theresa May Russia EU Iran Republicans Emmanuel Macron Xi Jingpin China Trump alliances Iran leader Jerusalem Xi Macron detention center global warming Guatemala. Honduras Saudi Arabia foreign policy Congress Caravan Vladimir Putin Chinese president G20 climate change Ali Khamenei North Korea immigrants Mexico foreign relations
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA01G99YXNPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: FOR EXTENSIVE FILE VIDEO OF TRUMP'S DOMESTIC AGENDA, PLEASE SEE EDIT 0425-USA-ELECTION/TRUMP-DOMESTIC POLICY
FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0426-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY PART 1
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few dispute, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None