- Title: Israeli overnight air strikes destroy Gaza buildings and infrastructure
- Date: 5th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 5, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DEBRIS SCATTERED ON GROUND DEBRIS WITH DAMAGED BUILDING IN THE BACKGROUND PERSONAL BELONGINGS AND FURNITURE AMID RUBBLE PALESTINIAN WOMAN AND CHILD WALKING NEARBY VARIOUS OF DEBRIS VARIOUS OF DESTROYED BUILDING SALEM ALGUSIAN, OWNER OF A BUILDING DESTROYED IN ISRAELI AIR STRIKE, WALKING NEAR BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SALEM ALGUSIAN, OWNER OF A BUILDING WHICH WAS DESTROYED IN ISRAELI AIR STRIKE, SAYING: "I'm really surprised, all the people who are renting are businessmen with business offices and the residents who live here are very poor, they hardly pay any rent. Every month I beg them to pay the rent. I'm surprised and there is no reason at all to target the building at all." PEOPLE LOOKING AT DESTROYED BUILDING DAMAGED CEILING STREET BLOCKED BY DEBRIS MEN LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF CAR WITH BROKEN WINDOW MEN OBSERVING DAMAGE
- Embargoed: 19th May 2019 06:03
- Keywords: Israel Gaza Palestinians Hamas fighting Gaza City aftermath
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADMGW1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians gathered in Gaza city on Sunday morning (May 5) to assess the damage caused by Israeli air strikes after a night of fire exchange between Israel and the militant group of Hamas.
In the latest fighting a rocket fired from Gaza killed an Israeli civilian earlier on Sunday and two Palestinian gunmen were killed in an Israeli strike as cross-border hostilities ran into their third day.
Air-raid sirens sent Israelis in the country's south, near Gaza, running to their shelters through the night as interceptor missiles blew up rockets in the sky. Israeli police said one of the rockets launched from Gaza hit a house in the city of Ashkelon, killing one man.
Israeli bombings in Gaza shook buildings and sent Palestinians fleeing for cover. The Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group said two of its men were killed in an Israeli raid before dawn.
Egyptian and U.N. mediators, credited with brokering ceasefires in previous rounds of violence, were working to prevent further hostilities.
The latest round of violence began on Friday (May 2) when a Palestinian Islamic Jihad sniper fired at Israeli troops, wounding two soldiers, according to the Israeli military. Israel retaliated with an air strike that killed two militants from the armed Islamist group Hamas, which controls Gaza.
Two other Palestinians protesting near the frontier were killed by Israeli forces on the same day, Palestinian officials said.
Since Saturday, Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants fired more than 400 rockets at Israeli villages and cities, the military said, and Israel hit back with tank shelling and air strikes at some 200 targets in Gaza.
(Production: Abed Shanaa, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Lee Marzel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None