- Title: Gaza-Israel violence flares into second day with rocket attacks, air strikes
- Date: 5th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 5, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT VIEWS) EXPLOSIONS IN GAZA GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 4, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT VIEWS) VARIOUS OF EXPLOSIONS SEEN IN SKY OVER GAZA PEOPLE IN STREET AFTER ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE PEOPLE AROUND BUILDING DESTROYED BY AN ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OWNER OF SHOP AT THE DESTROYED BUILDING, YOUSIF AL MUFTI, SAYING: "We heard in the news that 'Al khuzindar' building was destroyed, we came running to the scene like other people. We lost all the products inside, who will compensate us? Who will compensate my mother for all the lost money? It has been only two weeks since we got the products." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AROUND DESTROYED BUILDING
- Embargoed: 19th May 2019 01:01
- Keywords: strikes rockets Gaza border Israel Hamas iron dome smoke explosions
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADHIERR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Gaza militants fired more than 250 rockets into Israeli towns and villages through Saturday (May 4), while Israel hit back with tank shelling and air strikes that Palestinian officials said killed four people.
Cross-border hostilities which broke out on Friday flared into a second day, with Palestinians fleeing Israeli strikes in Gaza and air-raid sirens sending Israelis running to shelters as interceptor missiles blew up rockets in the sky.
The escalation, which comes just ahead of both the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and Israel's Independence Day holiday, prompted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to convene security chiefs.
Egyptian mediators, credited with brokering ceasefires in previous rounds of violence, were working to prevent further hostilities.
The latest round of violence began on Friday when a Palestinian Islamic Jihad sniper fired at Israeli troops, wounding two soldiers, according to the Israeli military.
The Magen David Adom ambulance service said two Israelis were wounded by shrapnel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None