- Title: JORDAN-HOT DOG COMPETITION Jordan holds hot dog eating competition
- Date: 13th September 2015
- Summary: AUDIENCE CHEERING MORE OF WOMEN COMPETING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMPETITOR, MAYA ABDULLAH, SAYING: "[I decided to take part] because I love to eat, and I felt like I eat a lot, so I came here to compete and I hope to win." AUDIENCE CHEERING
- Embargoed: 28th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Jordan
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA6S67L7FS0Y8A3INHHLB5CYJGJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of competitors took to an open air stage in Amman on Friday (September 11), to stake their claim to be the fastest hot dog eater in town.
The event, which took place in a venue called The Dome, saw around 40 participants try to chomp their way to victory by eating the most hot dogs in a minute.
Organiser Nasser Masri said it was important to host upbeat events like this, despite the turmoil difficulties that the country and its neighbours are facing.
"An event like this not only brings families together, it also sends a message that we are here to stay despite all the troubles that are facing the region. The Jordanian people are stable with its history and will continue to persevere despite what is happening in the region," he said.
Ahmad Bawab won the men's competition after devouring eight and a half hot dogs in 60 seconds. He said he's always been a quick eater.
"I noticed that if I am in a rush or going somewhere after lunch, I eat quite quickly. Even my family noticed that, they said you eat too fast. So because of that, when I heard of an eating competition, I decided to participate and try my luck," he said.
The winner received 1,000 Jordanian dinars (1411 dollars), while second place won an iPhone 6.
Maya Abdullah was one of the competitors who took part in the women's event.
"[I decided to take part] because I love to eat, and I felt like I eat a lot, so I came here to compete and I hope to win," she said.
The competition was sponsored by a local hot dog chain, who aim to make this an annual event.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None