- Title: Israel strikes Hamas in Gaza, calling attack response to rocket fire
- Date: 13th June 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (JUNE 13, 2019) (REUTERS) GAZA FISHERMAN AKRAM SAIYED INSPECTING HIS BOAT VARIOUS OF FISHERMEN AT PORT FISHERMAN FIXING BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA FISHERMAN AKRAM SAIYED, SAYING: "More than 5,000 fishermen depend on the sea for their livelihood, so how many families live off the sea? Today you (referring to Israel) are closing (the fishing zone at) the sea and we are not going to work, why? What are we guilty of? We don't fire rockets at you, or send balloons. What are we guilty of?" HAMAS SPOKESPERSON, HAZEM QASSIM, WALKING QASSIM BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HAMAS SPOKESPERSON, HAZEM QASSIM, SAYING: "The attacks on the Gaza Strip is a continuous Israeli aggression, closing (the fishing zone at) the sea is a retreat from the agreements that was reached under Egyptian mediation and that makes the Palestinian situation more complicated, worsen the humanitarian crisis and raise the tension in the Gaza Strip. Therefore, the meditators should pressure the occupation (Israel) to implement the agreements, break the siege and not lead the region to further escalation." VARIOUS OF BOATS DOCKED AT PORT FISHERMEN AT PORT BOATS AT SEA
- Embargoed: 27th June 2019 13:23
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Gaza Hamas strike rocket fire
- Location: NEAR GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: NEAR GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002AJ69MIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli aircraft attacked a Hamas target in Gaza on Thursday (June 13) after a Palestinian rocket strike, the Israeli military said, in the first serious cross-border flare-up since a surge in fighting last month.
The latest hostilities followed Israel's closure of offshore waters to Gaza fisherman on Wednesday (June 12) in what it said was a response to incendiary balloons launched across the frontier that caused fires in fields in southern Israel this week.
In a statement, the military said fighter planes attacked "underground infrastructure" in a compound belonging to the Hamas militant group that rules the Gaza Strip. There were no reports of injuries.
The military said it was responding to a rocket fired from Gaza overnight that was intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile system.
(Production: Nihad Khalil, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Abed Shana)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None