- Title: Mobile filling stations deliver fuel on wheels to Iraqis
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ (AUGUST 9, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DRIVER OF "SPEED FUEL" MOBILE FILLING STATION DRIVING TOWARD CUSTOMER TO SUPPLY FUEL / DRIVER TAKING INSTRUCTIONS VIA WIRELESS DEVICE VARIOUS OF VAN SLOWING DOWN AND STOPPING NEXT TO PARKED CAR VARIOUS OF DRIVER DETACHING HOSE FROM REEL AND PREPARING FUEL DISPENSER VARIOUS OF DRIVER PLACING NOZZLE IN TANK OF CAR TO FUEL IT COUNTER MEASURING FUEL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOBILE FILLING STATION CUSTOMER, RIBWAR KHALED, SAYING: "Honestly, the company is good, we got benzene from it. Had it not been for this company, I would have had to get a taxi to bring benzene from one of the petrol stations. So honestly the company is good and it is helpful for citizens because of its convenience." CUSTOMER PAYING VAN DRIVER AFTER FILLING UP EMPLOYEES AT CALL CENTRE TAKING CUSTOMERS' CALLS AND REQUESTS WIRELESS DEVICES EMPLOYEE SPEAKING INTO WIRELESS DEVICE EMPLOYEE WRITING ON BOARD (SOUNDBITE) (Kurdish) OWNER OF MOBILE FILLING STATIONS PROJECT, KARA NAJAT, SAYING: "Hundreds of drivers are calling us daily to supply them with fuel. After we've identified their locations, our staff contact the roaming fuel van drivers via the wireless device and we can reach them in less 10 minutes, thank God. We have received a good response from the people, our prices are competitive and are cheaper than other petrol stations. We are responsible for any technical defect that might happen because of our fuel. We are ready to repair cars with any technical problems caused by the fuel, all at the expense of 'Speed Fuel' company." VAN MOVING IN YARD WHERE IT IS FILLED WITH FUEL VARIOUS OF EMPLOYEES PREPARING VAN TO FILL IT WITH FUEL REELS AND DISPENSERS FOR DIFFERENT GRADES OF FUEL PROVIDED BY MOBILE STATIONS NAJAT SPEAKING WITH STAFF (SOUNDBITE) (Kurdish) OWNER OF MOBILE FILLING STATIONS PROJECT, KARA NAJAT, SAYING: "The (Ford Motor Company) has responded by manufacturing such vans which can carry 3,900 liters of fuel in three grades and with three different prices. We are now competing with other petrol stations. The price of each litre is less than the market price by 50 Iraqi dinars." VANS LEAVING YARD AND CENTRAL PETROL TANKS VARIOUS OF VANS MOVING ON ROAD VARIOUS OF MOBILE STATION EMPLOYEE FILLING UP TANK OF CUSTOMER'S CAR (SOUNDBITE) (Kurdish) CUSTOMER FROM SULAIMANIYA, LATIF ALI, SAYING: "I have visited so many countries around the world, I never saw a service like this one. The customer, who is being supplied with fuel, doesn't pay taxes or extra money because the fuel is being supplied to them wherever they are. The prices are cheaper than in other stations and this is a positive thing. Also, there are women or elderly men who cannot handle stopping in long queues to get fuel. Honestly, I am very proud of them for offering such a service to citizens." CUSTOMER SHAKING HANDS WITH AND PAYING MONEY TO EMPLOYEE AFTER FILLING HIS CAR WITH FUEL MAN STEPPING OUT OF VEHICLE AT FILLING STATION FILLING STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Kurdish) TAXI DRIVER, HAYMEN MOHAMMED, SAYING: "Honestly, there are so many petrol stations, but the quality of this petrol station is different because its gasoline is imported. And there is competition among stations regarding the quality of petrol, and this is so important for me and other drivers. Personally, when my car's fuel gauge reaches the middle, I will go to the petrol station because there are four stations on the way to my house. As for the mobile fuel station, I heard that their prices are lower than in other stations and that the quality of their fuel is good. And whenever a technical defect take place because of their gasoline, they are ready to repair it at their expense as I heard from drivers and friends. I will try to get their telephone numbers as soon as possible and I will start to fuel up from these (mobile) station as their services and prices are better than ordinary stations." FUEL DISPENSER WITH TEXT ABOVE SHOWING DIFFERENT GRADES OF FUEL EMPLOYEE AT FILLING STATION PLACING NOZZLE IN TANK TO FILL CAR WITH FUEL
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 14:02
- Keywords: mobile gas stations roaming gas stations Iraq filling stations filling stations in Iraq fuelling stations in Iraq fuel in Iraq
- Location: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- City: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBXIS5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mobile filling stations roaming the Iraqi city of Sulaimaniya are providing fuel to drivers on the road, offering them more convenience and cheaper fuel compared to ordinary filling stations.
At the side of the road, Ribwar Khaled parked his car and waited for the mobile station to reach him.
Once the driver found Khaled's car, he slowly pulled over the mobile fuel van, dislodged the fuel dispenser and fuelled the customer's car.
The fuel sale saved Khaled plenty of hassle, he said, adding that the service is helpful because of the convenience it offers its customers.
Customers of "Speed Fuel" call the company and place their requests for fuel, after which the company's call centre agents direct the mobile filling van drivers to the customer's location.
The drivers can reach a customer in a matter of 10 minutes, said the owner of the project, Kara Najat.
For 62-year-old customer Latif Ali, the company's service is important because it helps people avoid the wait "in long queues to get fuel," he said.
Each van has the capacity to carry 3,900 litres of fuel, with three compartments for different grades, that can each carry up to 1,300 litres.
The lowest grade provided by the mobile stations sells for 600 Iraq dinars ($.50), an improved grade is sold for 700 dinars ($.59), while the highest quality grade is sold at 775 dinars ($.65).
All prices are 50 dinars cheaper than those of traditional filling stations, said Najat, adding that his project is presenting competition for other stations.
The project currently has 35 employees and operates 24 hours daily, all week, with staff working in shifts.
The company says it takes responsibility for any technical defects that may occur because of its fuel and will carry out the repairs at its expense.
The company started out earlier this year and currently operates with five vans, with plans to add seven more to its fleet soon.
The mobile filling stations were manufactured for the project by Ford Motor Company at a cost $60,000 per van. The total cost of the project so far is around $2 million, according to Najat.
(Production: Saman Mahmood, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None