- Title: Police make arrests as right-wing, anti-fascist groups rally in Portland
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: PORTLAND, OREGON, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** CROWD OF ACTIVISTS CHANTING 'GO HOME NAZIS!' MAN IN CONSTRUCTION HAT ARGUING WITH PROUD BOY SUPPORTER (MAN WITH BEARD) AS MAN IN RED KNIT CAP YELLS "SHUT THE FUCK UP! SHUT THE FUCK UP!" TO MAN WEARING PROUD BOYS SHIRT AND MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN CAP ANTIFA MEMBER WEARING BLACK HOOD, BLACK HANDKERCHIEF ACROSS FACE AND DARK SUNGLASSES AS PERSON WITH PINK HAIR YELLS "FUCK OFF PROUD BOYS!" MAN WITHOUT SHIRT YELLING 'WE'RE AMERICAN' AS CROWD ARGUES POLICE ON BLACK VAN DRIVING TO SCENE VARIOUS OF ANTIFA MEMBERS WALKING THROUGH CROWD AS THEY ARRIVE AT RALLY ANTIFA MEMBERS GATHERED CLOSE-UP OF EYES OF ANTIFA MEMBER SEEN THROUGH BLACK HELMET, BLACK HOOD AND BLACK FACE MASK ANTI-PROUD BOYS PROTESTERS AT RALLY, MANY WEARING COSTUMES VARIOUS OF PROUD BOYS ARRIVING POLICE OFFICER WEARING JACKET THAT READS 'PORTLAND POLICE LIAISON OFFICER' LOOKING ON PROUD BOY SUPPORTER WEARING MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN CAP PROUD BOY LOGO ON SHIRT PROUD BOYS AND SUPPORTERS GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (English), CHRISTIAN, PROUD BOY, SAYING: "That we're proud western chauvinists. That we're unapologetic for creating the modern world, that we empower the entrepreneur, we venerate the housewife. That we're very much 1st Amendment that we want everybody to be able to say what they want, no matter how crazy it is." MAN WEARING T-SHIRT THAT READS: 'NOT TODAY ANTIFA/ BERKELEY, WASHINGTON DC, CHARLOTTESVILLE, PORTLAND' PROUD BOYS MARCHING WITH U.S. FLAGS ON BRIDGE POLICE ARRIVING ON VAN POLICE BLOCKING ROAD POLICE BLOCKING ROAD IN FOREGROUND AS PROUD BOYS MARCH WITH U.S. FLAGS IN BACKGROUND PROUD BOYS MARCHING WITH FLAGS ACTIVISTS PROTESTING AGAINST PROUD BOYS STANDING AND HOLDING SIGNS UNDER BRIDGE WITH POLICE BLOCKING ROAD PAN OF ACTIVISTS PROTESTING AGAINST PROUD BOYS FROM MAN HOLDING POSTER READING 'HEALING NOT HATE/ (DOWN WITH) RACISM, FASCISM, TRUMP)' VARIOUS OF POLICE IN RIOT GEAR SEPARATING PROUD BOYS FROM COUNTER-DEMONSTRATION PROUD BOYS SUPPORTERS HOLDING FLAGS AT THEIR RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (English), 'FELIX', SPOKESPERSON, ROSE CITY ANTIFA, SAYING: "We absolutely reject the label domestic terrorism. Anti-fascists are not domestic terrorists. We are the people who stand up for our community and defend it from the people who want to do our community great harm." VARIOUS OF ANTIFA MEMBERS HOLDING BANNER AGAINST PROUD BOYS HOLDING BANNER THAT SAY 'YLF' and 'RCA' (ROSE CITY ANTIFA) VARIOUS OF ANTI-PROUD BOYS PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER WITH PHOTOGRAPH OF HEATHER HEYER, WOMAN KILLED IN CHARLOTTESVILLE AT A 'UNITE THE RIGHT' RALLY IN 2017 VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS AT COUNTER-RALLY WEARING T-SHIRT THAT SAYS 'FCK/ NZS' 'END WHITE SUPREMACY' AND HOLDING BANNER THAT READS 'WILL WE BE EXTREMISTS FOR HATE OR FOR LOVE?' MLK (MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.) VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS AT COUNTER-RALLY HOLDING SIGNS THAT PLAY ON 'WHITE POWER' THAT READ 'WHITE FLOUR' 'WIFE POWER' 'WHITE FLOUR' 'WHITE FLOUR' POLICE IN RIOT GEAR
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 00:54
- Keywords: Proud Boys Antifa Portland protest rally
- Location: PORTLAND, OREGON, UNITED STATES
- City: PORTLAND, OREGON, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLWFNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
Police in Portland, Oregon arrested at least 13 people on Saturday (August 17) as a right-wing group marched to a downtown waterfront park and anti-fascist counter-protesters scuffled with officers who tried to keep the two sides apart.
A rally by hundreds of supporters of the right-wing Proud Boys organization was met by a similar number of "antifa" opponents, and isolated clashes broke out between both sides and between antifa and police as the gathering wrapped up.
Portland police estimated 1200 activists showed up for the rallies and at least 13 people were arrested.
At least four people were being evaluated by paramedics for minor injuries, according to police. Officers said they seized weapons from multiple groups including bear spray, shields, and metal and wooden poles.
Right-wing and anti-fascist factions have clashed in Portland several times in recent months, including a rally that turned violent in July last year.
Hours ahead of Saturday's competing demonstrations, U.S. President Donald Trump said "major consideration" was being given to designating antifa as a terrorist organization.
(Production: Tim Exton, Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None