- Title: Tokyo marks one year to go until 2020 Paralympic Games
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GOVERNOR OF TOKYO, YURIKO KOIKE, ENTERING STAGE / KOIKE SITTING NEXT TO TOKYO 2020 PRESIDENT, YOSHIRO MORI (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) GOVERNOR OF TOKYO, YURIKO KOIKE SAYING: "The city of Tokyo, by having the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games as a trigger, has been working on creating a barrier-free environment as well as a mental barrier-free (society)." IPC VICE PRESIDENT, DUANE KALE, ENTERING STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) INTERNATIONAL PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE VICE PRESIDENT, DUANE KALE SAYING: "I am so confident that Tokyo 2020 will surpass the success of London 2012 and have more impact on transforming society than any previous Paralympics." RIO 2016 PARALYMPIC GAMES WHEELCHAIR TENNIS BRONZE MEDALLIST, SHINGO KUNIEDA ENTERING STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) RIO 2016 PARALYMPIC GAMES WHEELCHAIR TENNIS BRONZE MEDALLIST, SHINGO KUNIEDA SAYING: "Not only on August 25 but also I hope that it would be a memorable Paralympic Games." / JAPAN PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN, MITSUNORI TORIHARA, HOLDING THE STATEMENT OF STATING JAPAN PARALYMPIC DAY (AUGUST 25) (REAR/LEFT TO RIGHT) KOIKE, TORIHARA, REHM, CHIEF CABINET SECRETARY, YOSHIHIDE SUGA, MORI/ (FRONT/LEFT TO RIGHT) KUNIEDA, KALE, RIO 2016 PARALYMPIC GAMES WHEELCHAIR TENNIS BRONZE MEDALLIST, YUI KAMIJI, POSING FOR PHOTOS VARIOUS OF JAPANESE ACTOR, SATOMI ISHIHARA, AND JAPANESE COMEDIAN DUO SANDWICH MAN, UNVEILING TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC TORCHBEARERS' UNIFORM TOKYO 2020 MEDAL DESIGN SELECTION PANEL VICE CHAIRPERSON, NAOKO TAKAHASHI, LEADING TOKYO 2020 MEDAL DESIGN SELECTION PANEL MEMBER, JUNICHI KAWAI, ON STAGE TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC MEDAL DESIGNER, SAKIKO MATSUMOTO, ENTERING STAGE TOKYO 2020 MEDALS UNVEILED AND PUT ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 15:54
- Keywords: Tokyo Tokyo 2020 Paralympics Olympics
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003ATPUP8F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Organising Committee for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games on Sunday (August 25) held a 'One Year to Go' event to mark the countdown to the start of the Games which will get underway here in exactly one year.
The event brought together Tokyo 2020 organisers, government officials and Paralympic athletes including medalists from the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The Tokyo 2020 Paralympic medal designs were also unveiled at the event, along with the Paralympic torchbearers' uniform.
The medal designer, Sakiko Matsumoto, said her designs were meant to appeal to the senses of all the athletes who will be receiving them come next year.
Tokyo will become the first city to hold the Paralympics for the second time.
(Production: Yoko Kono)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None