- Title: Iran situation needs peaceful solution, but won't be easy - Merkel
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: BIARRITZ, FRANCE (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE ON SIDELINES OF G7 SUMMIT G7 FRANCE LOGO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We have already spoken about Iran, and what unites us - and this is a big step forward - is that we not only do not want Iran to have nuclear weapons but we also want to achieve a political solution to this." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, ANSWERING QUESTION: Where exactly is the progress with the U.S. on Iran other than a mutual agreement against force. Is Trump prepared to loosen sanctions on Iran? "I can't say at the moment. But there is an atmosphere here that has welcomed the prospect of talks, specifically EU-led talks with Iran, and especially Franco-Iranian talks. This is taking place in coordination with the U.S. and that is already a lot. We can't say today what will actually come out of this and what possibilities will open up as a result of this, but the steadfast will to have talks is big progress." MERKEL LISTENING TO QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "I also think that today's comments from President Rohani (Iranian President Hassan Rohani) where he expressly supported the presence here of his foreign minister and affirmed that chances at dialogue must be taken up show that it is not just Biarritz sending this message but the other side feels it too. But as you can imagine this is an incredibly fragile and long and difficult process that only risks being damaged by any preemptive comments. We all have a big interest in a peaceful solution to a conflict like this but it will not be easy." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Europe and its representatives showed a united front here: Donald Tusk as well as the French, Italian and German delegations, including cooperation with Boris Johnson as British prime minister. We will have a lot on our plates with Brexit come autumn so we are expecting a few work intensive weeks ahead." MEDIA MERKEL LEAVING BRIEFING
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 12:01
- Keywords: G7 summit Biarritz Chancellor Angela Merkel Iran Brexit
- Location: BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- City: BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUTKQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday G7 leaders had taken a big step forward in their efforts to avoid an escalation of tensions with Iran over its nuclear programme.
All the G7 leaders agreed not only that Iran should not have nuclear weapons but also that negotiations were the right way to achieve that goal, Merkel said, adding that the United States had welcomed European talks with Iran.
"What the outcome will be, what possibilities open up, we can't say today," she said of the talks. "But the firm will to talk is already a big step forward."
"We all have a big interest in a peaceful solution to such a conflict, but it won't be easy," Merkel added, speaking to reporters after meeting leaders from the G7 economic powers.
(Production: Noemi Olive, Tanya Wood)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None