- Title: It's a dog's life as pugs fight the heat at their annual race
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) TOFFY THE PUG RUNNING AROUND AND THROUGH PEOPLE'S LEGS BEFORE GETTING BACK TO OWNER VARIOUS OF DOGS EATING ICE-CREAM TOFFY LOOKING AT PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING PICTURES OF HER TOFFY MEETING OTHER CONTESTANTS MAN HOLDING PUG IN HIS ARMS TOFFY COOLING DOWN PUGS RUNNING AROUND AND COOLING DOWN TOFFY RUNNING AROUND AND MAKING NEW FRIEND PUG PLAYING WITH POOL VARIOUS OF CONTESTANTS AT "PHOTOCALL" TOFFY WATCHING PHOTOGRAPHERS CLOSE UP OF TOFFY IN THE ARMS OF HER OWNER PEOPLE GATHERED FOR PUG MEETING PUG EXAMINING CAMERA AND JUMPING OUT OF POOL (SOUNDBITE) (German) PUG OWNER, OLGA BERCHENKO, SAYING: "I am sad. We have been here every year and this she can't (race). Ours was below the top ten last year and it would have been nice if she had made it through this year." PUGS SEATED WITH OWNER CAROLIN (SOUNDBITE) (German) PUG OWNER, CAROLIN KOZZERKE, SAYING: (ANSWERING THE QUESTION OF WHETHER IT WAS TOO HOT TO RACE) "No, I don't think so. May are fit, like ours and others also run around, so I don't think so, because they have enough water, they can splash around. But on the other hand it is also fine that the owners are allowed to run instead." DOG WATCHING POOL PUG BEING PUT INTO POOL PEOPLE SEATED UNDER UMBRELLAS AND PARASOLS (SOUNDBITE) (German) PUG OWNER, ANDY, SAYING: "It is sad that it is the last one. That is sad. But otherwise it is beautiful. We have travelled 500km to be here and we have been looking forward to these two or three hours we are going to spend here. It is beautiful. Where else do you see something like this." ANDY'S DOG PANTING (SOUNDBITE) (German) PUG OWNER, ANDY, SAYING: "A world without pug is pointless. Maybe for my wife it isn't. (He laughs) No, obviously there is a life without pugs, but it is a hard one." TOFFY RUNNING AROUND WOMAN RACING TOFFY WATCHING WOMAN ARRIVE AT FINISHING LINE MAN RUNNING TOFFY WATCHING WOMEN ARRIVING AT FINISHING LINE VARIOUS OF OWNERS ARRIVING AT FINISHING LINE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE JUMPING OVER SPRINKLER
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 18:49
- Keywords: Berlin pug meeting dogs race Germany heat weather
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUJSWUX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It was meant to be her shining moment. On Saturday (August 31), Toffy the pug was clearly ready to win Berlin's 10th international pug race.
She checked out her opponents, some busy eating ice-cream to get an energy boost, others cooling down as they waited for the race to start.
Gamely posing for the cameras, Toffy waited for the race to start.
But then the announcement came: there would be no race as it was too hot.
The local authorities said the 34 degrees Celsius heat would be too much for the dogs.
Many of the owners, who came from all over Germany, couldn't hide their disappointment. So they ran instead of their dear pugs.
As for Toffy and the other pugs, well they didn't seem bothered. They simply were enjoying the last few days of summer.
(Production: Bettina Borgfeld, Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None