- Title: Dozens killed in air strikes on Houthi military targets in Yemen
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: DHAMAR, YEMEN (SEPTEMBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE AND RESCUE WORKERS STANDING AROUND DEMOLISHED BUILDING RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKERS CARRYING BODY RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKERS BY BODIES RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKERS CARRYING BODY RESCUE WORKERS STANDING NEAR BODIES / DEMOLISHED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RED CRESCENT RESCUE WORKER, BASHIR AL-DORANI, SAYING: "We are now up to 50 bodies. I cannot give exact numbers because the search is still going on. We are still in the process of searching and collecting bodies." RESCUE WORKERS STANDING NEAR BODIES IN BAGS BODIES IN BAGS VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT VEHICLES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HOUTHI OFFICIAL, MOHAMED AL-MAORI, SAYING: "There were seven shells at around 11 o'clock from the military coalition. They targeted a prison. And as you know, targeting a prison is a human rights law and international law violation. It is considered a war crime. Until now, around 50 bodies have been recovered. Bodies and organs are still lying around under the rubble. We still do not know the exact number." VARIOUS OF DEMOLISHED BUILDINGS PEOPLE / RESCUE WORKERS AROUND BODIES ON GROUND RESCUE WORKERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SPOKESMAN OF HOUTHI'S MINISTRY OF HEALTH, YOUSSEF AL-HADRI, SAYING: "According to statistics from the National Committee of Prisoners' Affairs, there were 185 prisoners. The number of injured is 50, and they have been taken to hospitals across Dhamar. Regarding the dead, not all bodies have been recovered. Bodies are still scattered all over the area. Many bodies are still under the rubble, which is so heavy that our rescue team has not been able to recover the bodies underneath." VARIOUS OF BULLDOZER CARRYING RUBBLE DAMAGED BUILDING
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 12:42
- Keywords: dhamar air strikes Saudi strikes strike on prison dozens killed conflict in Yemen
- Location: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- City: DHAMAR, YEMEN
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUTTO3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of people were killed in air strikes by the Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen on Sunday (September 1), the Houthis said.
The coalition said it had launched air strikes on Houthi military targets and destroyed a site storing drones and missiles in Dhamar in southwest Yemen.
The Houthi-run media said the strikes had hit a prison.
Houthi officials said at least 50 bodies had been pulled out from the rubble and rescuers were still searching.
The Western-backed alliance intervened in Yemen in March 2015 against the Houthis after they ousted the internationally recognised government from power in the capital, Sanaa, in late 2014.
(Production: Ahmed Al-Ansi, Abdulrahman Al-Ansi, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None