- Title: U.N. peacekeepers patrol Lebanon-Israel border after Hezbollah clash
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: LEBANON-ISRAEL BORDER, LEBANON (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) MUTELLA ISRAELI SETTLEMENT AS SEEN FROM LEBANON SIDE OF BORDER CONSTRUCTION SITE AND VEHICLES WORKING AT THE ISRAELI SIDE OF THE BORDER AS SEEN FROM LEBANON UNIFIL PATROLLING AT THE LEBANESE SIDE OF THE BORDER ISRAELI MILITARY SITE AND COMMUNICATION ANTENNA SEEN FROM LEBANON VARIOUS OF BORDER FENCE HEZBOLLAH FLAG MAROUN AL-RAS, LEBANON (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LEBANESE-ISRAELI BORDER AS SEEN FROM LEBANON UNIFIL TROOPS PATROLLING BORDERS FROM LEBANESE SIDE / TRACTOR DRIVING PAST UNIFIL VEHICLE ON ROAD ROADS AND FIELDS AS SEEN FROM HILLTOP (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) 4-YEAR-OLD LEBANESE TRAVEL AGENT FROM BINT JBEIL IN SOUTH LEBANON AND FATHER OF THREE, HASSAN BAZZI, SAYING: "We are residents of Bint Jbeil. We have been out watching the situation for a week after what happened. Yesterday around 4 p.m., we heard bombings, sounds reached Bint Jbeil, so we came here and the situation was as you've seen it: fires and it did not go beyond this area, this is Maroun al-Ras (pointing out), this is Avivim settlement and the Palestinian-Lebanese border." VARIOUS OF UNIFIL VEHICLE AT LEBANESE-ISRAELI BORDER VARIOUS OF UNIFIL HELICOPTER IN AIR, PATROLLING BORDER VARIOUS OF UNIFIL VEHICLE PATROLLING NEAR BORDER ISRAELI MILITARY TENT AS SEEN FROM MAROUN AL-RAS VILLAGE IN LEBANON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN VISITING IRAN PARK IN MAROUN AL-RAS, ALI ALLOUL, SAYING: "We are in Maroun al-Ras, in a place called Iran Garden that overlooks the border where the strike happened. We are here to check out the situation and look at the view. There's nothing, everyone is here to hang out and smoke shisha. There's nothing, even the Israelis are afraid." VARIOUS OF ALLOUL AND HIS FRIENDS PREPARING SHISHA
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 13:07
- Keywords: Lebanon security Israel Maroun al-Ras Hezbollah
- Location: MAROUN AL-RAS AND LEBANON-ISRAEL BORDER, LEBANON
- City: MAROUN AL-RAS AND LEBANON-ISRAEL BORDER, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUYTPHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Lebanon-Israel border area was quiet on Monday (September 2), one day after Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah group and the Israeli army exchanged fire across the border.
On Sunday (September 1) Israel's military said anti-tank missiles from Lebanon targeted an army base and vehicles. It responded with fire into southern Lebanon, after a week of growing tension raised fears of a new war with long-time enemy Hezbollah.
Hezbollah said its fighters destroyed an Israeli military vehicle, killing and wounding those inside. Israel said there were no casualties.
Reuters witnesses on the Lebanese side of the border said all was quiet on Monday morning. The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), the U.N. peacekeeping force, was seen patrolling the border. UNIFIL said it had urged both sides to "exercise utmost restraint to prevent any further escalation."
(Production: Issam Abdallah, Karamallah Daher, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None