- Title: Trump baby blimp lifts off in San Diego to protest president's visit
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) TRUMP BABY BLIMP BEING INFLATED ON STREET NEAR PROTESTERS INFLATED BLIMP PROTESTERS GATHERED BEHIND BARRICADE BLIMP IN THE AIR VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTERS WITH PLACARDS AND NEXT TO BANNER THAT READS (English) "NO MORE TRUMP" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MEXICAN-AMERICAN DUAL NATIONAL, BENJAMIN PRADO, SAYING: "Trump is not welcome in San Diego, nor California, not anywhere in North America. He is a terrible person. We regard him as fascist because of his character, the jailing of children, causing deaths by the border, the starting wars, deploying murderers and mercenaries in other countries like in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. We reject his imperialist stance." PROTESTERS GATHERED BANNER THAT READS (English) "NO WAR IN IRAN" MAN ON THE STREET IN LEOTARD WITH COLOURS OF UNITED STATES FLAG POLICE ON DUTY (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, KIMBERLY MEDINA, SAYING: "As president he should carry himself with honour, dignity, grace and be respectful of people. And I think...if we don't show how we want to be...I'm here today to be peaceful. I'm not here to fight, I'm not here to cause trouble. I'm here to show that we can all get along." OFFICERS ON DUTY SUPPORTERS OF TRUMP POSING FOR PHOTO PROTESTER HOLDING ANTI-TRUMP PLACARD
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 23:12
- Keywords: President Donald Trump San Diego California visit protest baby blimp
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6S7RB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Trump baby blimp went up in the city of San Diego on Wednesday (September 18) to protest a visit from the president.
President Donald Trump is in the area to visit a section of wall along the U.S. border with Mexico in a bid to illustrate his commitment to crack down on illegal border crossings.
Trump's supporters are eager for the president to keep his promise to build a wall to stem migrant crossings through Mexico from Central America. Crowd chants of "Build the Wall!" are often the loudest at his political rallies across the country.
In February, Trump declared a national emergency in order to divert funding toward wall construction when Congress refused to give him the amount he requested. As a candidate in 2016, Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. It has refused to do so.
Trump has sought to assure supporters he is making good on his promise, but according to Politifact, his administration has not built new segments of a wall since he took office in 2017, although it has replaced some 60 miles (96 km) of existing border barriers with new fencing.
Democrats sharply criticise Trump's policies and do not believe a wall is the answer to the country's immigration challenges.
In California, Trump is also collecting cash to bolster his campaign coffers as multiple Democratic presidential candidates ramp up their efforts to take him on in the November 2020 election.
(Production: Jorge Nieto, Rodolfo Pena Roja)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None