- Title: Simeone says late equaliser will boost Atletico going forward
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) ATLETICO MADRID COACH DIEGO SIMEONE AT NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ATLETICO MADRID COACH DIEGO SIMEONE, SAYING: "We played against a very strong rival that has players with great experience. They average age is around 29 year-old, we average around 24 year-old. Obviously some of our players lack experience to face this kind of matches. This (the game against Juventus) is going to have a very good impact on us ahead of what is yet to come." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ATLETICO MADRID COACH DIEGO SIMEONE, SAYING: "We were not disconnected from the game. We managed to level (the result) against a team that is likely to compete to win the Champions (League). As I told your colleague it is not about the point we get but the good impact that it will have on us." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SIMEONE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM JOURNALIST JUVENTUS COACH MAURIZIO SARRI ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) JUVENTUS COACH MAURIZIO SARRI, SAYING: "There are things to improve, small details, but this costs you points. I have two different sensations. I'm satisfied because the team had a good match, my boys never scored away to Atletico (Madrid) before and today we were close to scoring a third goal. There are good things but allow me to be a bit angry because from the bench we thought that the match was under control." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) JUVENTUS COACH MAURIZIO SARRI, SAYING: "It was important to win in order to be in a good position in the group. We get good things from the match. We suffered for 20 minutes but after that we played in a very direct way. We were close to making the score 3-1. We were close to winning the match. We took some steps forward and that gave us confidence." JOURNALISTS SARRI LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 00:07
- Keywords: Champions League Atletico Madrid Juventus Diego Simeone Maurizio Sarri
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6R48V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Atletico Madrid produced a typically spirited comeback from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Juventus in a thrilling finale to Wednesday's (September 18) heavyweight Champions League Group D opener.
Atletico coach Diego Simeone said his team's late rally to salvage a point from the game would be have bigger ramifications for his team than the one point it brings them, instilling a confidence that they can fight back against one of Europe's biggest clubs.
The Spaniards were the brighter side in the first half but Juve went ahead in the 48th minute when Juan Cuadrado sent an unstoppable curling shot into the top corner after a break engineered by a punt forward from Bonucci.
The Italian champions doubled their lead in the 65th minute following another quick counter as midfielder Blaise Matuidi headed home a cross from Alex Sandro.
Defender Stefan Savic pulled a goal back for the Spaniards in the 70th with a header from close range following a free kick before Mexico midfielder Hector Herrera levelled in the 90th minute with a thumping header from a corner.
Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri said he felt happy to come away from the fixture with a point, but lamented missed opportunities that could have put the result beyond doubt.
Atletico and Juve have a point each while Lokomotiv Moscow top Group D after beating Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 away from home.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None