- Title: Uncertainty looms in Israel as unofficial election results show no clear winner
- Date: 18th September 2019
- Summary: JERUSALEM (SEPTEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAN READING YISRAEL HAYOM NEWSPAPER SHOWING PICTURES OF ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU AND HIS MAIN RIVAL IN ISRAELI ELECTION BENNY GANTZ, THE HEAD OF BLUE AND WHITE PARTY
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2019 09:32
- Keywords: Israel election Benjamin Netanyahu Benny Gantz Avigdor Lieberman results polls
- Location: NOKDIM, HEBRON, RAMALLAH, WEST BANK/JERUSALEM/ROSH HA'AYIN, ISRAEL
- City: NOKDIM, HEBRON, RAMALLAH, WEST BANK/JERUSALEM/ROSH HA'AYIN, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001AX6PZ5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel's election remained too close to call Wednesday morning (September 18), with television stations carrying unofficial results showing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tied with his main rival, former military chief Benny Gantz.
An official tally was still hours, perhaps days off, but the outcome appeared to be taking shape along the expected lines -- the Netanyahu-led right-wing block more or less even with Gantz's center-left.
With no single-party majority in the Knesset's 120 seats, there will likely be weeks of coalition talks before a new government is formed.
The ballot's wildcard, former Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, emerged as a likely kingmaker as head of the far-right Yisrael Beitenu party.
Israelis voiced mixed feelings over what seemed to be a result that could lead to a unity government, and Palestinians in the West Bank were indifferent to the outcome.
"We might have a new prime minister at the helm who is navigating the stormy Middle Eastern waters," Yohanan Plesner, president of the non-partisan Israel Democracy Institute think tank, told Reuters.
Only 35% of votes had been officially counted by Wednesday morning, showing a tight race between Likud and Blue and White.
(Production: Dedi Hayun, Rinat Harash, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Saed Hawari, Yusri alJammal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.