- Title: 30 years on the Hoff is back in Berlin
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE - 2013) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE SUPPORTING BERLIN WALL MONUMENT AND DAVID HASSELHOFF FANS CROWDED AROUND YELLOW VAN FROM WHICH HASSELHOFF SINGS HIS 1989 HIT "I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR FREEDOM" / PAN TO BERLIN WALL FANS TAKING PICTURES
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 17:41
- Keywords: Berlin Fall 30 years fall of wall David Hasselhoff Looking for Freedom
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA008AX1OEH9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: He looked for Freedom on the Berlin Wall in 1989 and now, as the 30 anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall approaches pop icon David Hasselhoff is back in Berlin.
Back in the capital with a new album, Hasselhoff is also promoting an audible audio book: Up Against the Wall which is due to be released on the October 3 anniversary of German reunification.
The thriller, set against the backdrop of the end of the Cold War, sees the actual David Hasselhoff mistaken for a spy and the spy mistaken for Hasselhoff.
Affectionately known as "The Hoff", the singer and actor shot to fame on TV shows Knight Rider and Baywatch but in West Germany he found fame on music charts in the summer before the fall of the Berlin Wall with "Looking For Freedom".
The song was a cover version of the 1970s German hit, "Auf Der Strasse Nach Suden" ('Freedom'), and with the political landscape changing in Europe, Germans took it to heart.
For years the myth has circulated, albeit with some tongue in cheek, that Hasselhof was solely responsible for bringing down the Wall and reuniting East and West Berlin.
Hasselhoff, who has maintained strong links to the German capital and took part in several campaigns in 2013 to save a part of the Berlin Wall threatened by developers, will be on tour with his most famous song throughout Germany from 2-20 October.
(Production: Oli Barth, Tanya Wood)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.