- Title: Soaked in Dead Sea mud, medical tourists hope to find recovery
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN (SEPTEMBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE BATHING IN SEA / PEOPLE COVERED IN MUD SITTING AT BEACH VARIOUS OF MAN FLOATING ON WATER VARIOUS OF FRENCH TOURIST COVERING HIS BODY WITH MUD TOURISTS COVERING THEIR BODIES WITH MUD VARIOUS OF TOURISTS COVERING BODY WITH MUD TOURIST FROM POLAND, PHILIP KULEWICZ, COVERING HIS BODY WITH MUD (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM POLAND, PHILIP KULEWICZ, SAYING: "No, I am not coming for medical issues, I am just a tourist but I know that there are some benefits of using this mud." TOURIST HEADING TOWARD SEA VARIOUS OF TOURISTS BATHING IN SEA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DOCTOR AND AND DIRECTOR OF DEAD SEA MEDICAL CENTRE, ZUHAIR BISHARAT, SAYING: "The mud of the Dead Sea is really very unique because it contains all the salts of the Dead Sea. At the same time, it has two features, the first is the therapeutic feature mainly for joints, the ingredients that are inside it (the mud) enhance the blood circulation around the joint. But its use must be done under medical supervision." VARIOUS OF TOURIST COVERING HIS BODY WITH MUD PATIENTS FROM AUSTRIA LOOKING TOWARD SEA (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT AT DEAD SEA, GUSTAV EDTHOFER, SAYING: "Yes I have a problem with my skin, of course, that is why I am here. Yeah I was sent by my doctor last year, I was here the first time and the treatment was very well, so (the doctor) decided to send me here the second year." ENTRANCE OF DEAD SEA MEDICAL CENTRE PATIENTS WALKING IN CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DOCTOR ZUHAIR BISHARAT, DIRECTOR OF THE DEAD SEA MEDICAL CENTRE, SAYING: "To be honest, if we take an overall look the Dead Sea, it is a salt room. People inhale the salts of the Dead Sea by just being in the area. We also created a special salt room so that the concentration is higher and the results are more pronounced."
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 13:13
- Keywords: Dead Sea Dead Sea mud Dead Sea salt Dead Sea medical centre Dead Sea treatment
- Location: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN
- City: DEAD SEA, SWEIMEH, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBOAXH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Dead Sea may be a body of water so salty that it poisons anyone who drinks it, but its shores in Jordan are still attracting visitors who come for the therapeutic properties associated with its mineral-rich waters and mud.
As a solution to his skin condition, Gustav Edthofer's doctor suggested that he goes to the Dead Sea for treatment.
Edthofer's visited the Dead Sea last year and the treatment went very well, so he went back this year.
Edthofer, who comes from Austria, is one of a growing number of tourists who travel from around the world to Jordan's Dead Sea Medical Centre, which has been running for 29 years.
The centre, which has become a medical tourism destination over the years, features private treatment rooms and a saltwater swimming pool for skin conditions and joint disorders.
While many come to the Dead Sea as medical tourists, other visitors just come to coat in its mud and float in the salty water, which is around 10 times saltier than the regular sea.
The Dead Sea, about 425 metres (1,400 feet) below sea level, is bordered by Israel, Jordan and the occupied West Bank.
Resort hotels have been built along the Israeli and Jordanian shores.
(Production: Muath Freij and Mohammad al-Ramahi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None