- Title: European powers urge Iran to return to nuclear accord compliance
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: UNITED NATIONS (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) IRAN'S FOREIGN MINISTER MOHAMMAD JAVAD ZARIF ENTERING UNITED NATIONS AND RESPONDING TO QUESTION ABOUT PRESIDENT TRUMP'S IMPEACHMENT
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 16:03
- Keywords: JCPOA Iran nuclear deal Federica Mogherini EU Iran
- Location: UNITED NATIONS
- City: UNITED NATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY5PT1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The remaining parties to the Iran nuclear deal are committed to preserving the pact though it is "increasingly difficult," European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini told reporters after a meeting of the parties at the United Nations on Wednesday (September 25).
The 2015 pact curbed Iran's disputed nuclear program in exchange for relief from sanctions, but has unraveled since the United States pulled out of it last year and acted to strangle Iran's oil trade to push it into wider security concessions.
"It is in the interests of all to remain committed to the deal, but it is becoming increasing difficult," Mogherini said.
She said France, Britain, Germany, Russia, China and Iran had agreed to continue efforts to implement the deal, which U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from in May 2018.
(Production: Angela Moore. Andrew Hofstetter)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None