- Title: UNHCR's Filippo Grandi possible contender for 2019 Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: KUTUPALONG, COX'S BAZAR, BANGLADESH (FILE - SEPTEMBER 23, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF U.N. HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES FILIPPO GRANDI WALKING IN KUTUPALONG CAMP SOLDIER SEATED / GRANDI IN BACKGROUND SPEAKING TO LOCAL OFFICIALS VARIOUS OF GRANDI SPEAKING TO LOCAL OFFICIALS VARIOUS OF GRANDI SEATED IN CLASSROOM WITH CHILDREN SEEN FROM BEHIND WINDOW GRANDI IN CLASSROOM SPEAKING WITH CHILDREN GRANDI SPEAKING TO CHILDREN GIRL LISTENING TO GRANDI GRANDI WALKING IN CAMP GRANDI SEATED IN SHELTER OF ROHINGYA FAMILY LIVING IN KUTUPALONG GRANDI ASKING WHAT THE NEW ARRIVALS NEED GRANDI AND UNHCR OFFICIALS WALKING PAST POND WHERE CHILDREN PLAY GRANDI SHAKING HANDS WITH CHILD IN WATER VARIOUS OF GRANDI SPEAKING TO CHILD IN WATER
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 18:49
- Keywords: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi Rohingyas Sudan Syria syrian refugees Venezuela
- Location: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- City: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYG8CAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, is among the contenders for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, for his work trying to improve conditions for refugees throughout the world.
Grandi has focused on speaking out for the Rohingyas in the Rakhine province in Myanmar, urging the de-facto head of state in Myanmar, Aung-San Suu Kyi, to act on the situation.
On a visit to Sudan, Grandi called on warring parties, regional states and the international community to look for urgent ways to find peace as he highlighted Sudan's role in hosting hundreds of thousands of South Sudanese refugees.
He has repeatedly called for longer pauses in fighting in Syria to allow delivery of humanitarian aid to hundreds of thousands of people in need.
Nigeria has been another key focus for the high commissioner, where families remain displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency.
Before being appointed High Commissioner in 2016 by then Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Grandi was engaged in international cooperation for over 30 years.
He served as Commissioner-General of the U.N. Agency for Palestine refugees, UNRWA, from 2010 to 2014, after having been the organisation's Deputy Commissioner-General since 2005.
Prior to that, Grandi was Deputy Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General in Afghanistan.
The UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) is also a contender for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
(Production: Paul Warren, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None