- Title: Thousands march through Sydney in support of Hong Kong protests
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF NEW SOUTH WALES STATE LIBRARY HOLDING PLACARDS AND CHANTING PROTESTER WEARING YELLOW HELMET AND GAS MASK PROTESTERS WEARING YELLOW HELMETS PLACARD READING (English): 'CHINAZI' VARIOUS OF PROTEST ORGANISER, ADAM, SPEAKING ON MICROPHONE TO PROTESTERS GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (English) SYDNEY PROTEST ORGANISER, ADAM, SAYING: "They were slowly eroding the autonomy promised to the Hong Kong people even long before this Extradition Bill movement started, and when this whole Extradition Bill movement started, I felt that it was my duty as someone who loves the city, who cares about its people, to stand up for its values, you know, for freedom, for democracy, the promises that were made to our people must be fulfilled. And when events started here in Sydney, in Australia, I felt it was obviously my duty to help with that." VARIOUS OF ADAM SPEAKING ON MICROPHONE TO THOSE GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (English) SYDNEY PROTEST ORGANISER, ADAM, SAYING: "The people in Hong Kong are not abandoned. We still love our city, that we left not because we don't like the city, not because we don't like the people, you know. It shows solidarity that we are all in this together. It also helps raise awareness to people all around the world as Hong Kongers that have moved to these cities, our diaspora, that people in these cities also care about them. It helps raise awareness, you know." ADAM LEADING THE CHANT ON MICROPHONE AS PROTESTERS MARCH THROUGH THE CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT BEHIND HIM PROTESTERS CHANTING AND HOLDING PLACARDS VARIOUS OF ADAM IN THE FRONT LINE OF THE MARCH THROUGH THE CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT (SOUNDBITE) (English) SYDNEY PROTEST ORGANISER, ADAM, SAYING: "To Hong Kong, I want you to see this crowd and let you know that you do not stand alone in your fight, in Hong Kong, that we stand with you not just here in Sydney but around the world. Today we all stand with you and forever we will stand with you." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING, CHANTING AND CARRYING PLACARDS PROTESTERS CARRYING AMERICAN FLAGS PROTESTERS MARCHING AS POLICE OFFICER LOOKS ON
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 08:26
- Keywords: Hong Kong Sydney Australia protests rally march China democracy
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPKZ7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands marched through Sydney's streets on Sunday (September 29) to show their support for Hong Kong and the pro-democracy movement, chanting and carrying placards.
One of the organisers of the rally, known as Adam, 21, said he felt it was his duty to do what he could far from his home to show support for the city that he loves, and assure its people that they are not abandoned.
"Today we all stand with you and forever we will stand with you," he told Reuters as he led the march from the State Library to Town Hall square.
Similar pro-democracy rallies have been planned for Sunday in over 40 other cities around the world, in the lead up to the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China on Tuesday (October 1).
(Production: Cordelia Hsu, Stefica Nicol Bikes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None