- Title: Palestinians protest against Israel over hospitalized detainee
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: JERUSALEM (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMAN PUNCHING PALESTINIAN PROTESTER / PROTESTER IS BROUGHT DOWN BY BORDER POLICEMEN AND ARRESTED PALESTINIAN BEING ARRESTED AND BORDER POLICE PUTTING HIM INSIDE VEHICLE BORDER POLICE ARRESTING YOUNG PALESTINIAN WOMAN BORDER POLICEMEN PUSHING WOMAN DURING PROTEST PALESTINIANS MARCHING STREETS DURING PROTEST IN SUPPORT WITH PALESTINIAN PRISONER SAMER AL-ARBID WHO IS BEING HELD IN ISRAELI JAILS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, ABEER ABU KHDEIR, SAYING: "We are here today to support the pioneer prisoners who suffered from brutal and inhuman torture. We want to tell the whole world that they should see Israel's fascist policy - we shouldn't call it Israel, it's occupied, zionist and fascist regime - how they treat the prisoners and how they kill them. They torture them to death." PALESTINIANS CHANTING DURING PROTEST WOMAN CARRYING PICTURES OF SAMER AL-ARBID VARIOUS OF PROTEST OUTSIDE MOUNT SCOPUS HADASSAH HOSPITAL WHERE SAMER AL-ARBID IS BEING HELD AL-BIREH, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SECURITY VEHICLE FIRING STUN GRENADES TOWARD PROTESTERS PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS THROWING STONES PROTESTERS BURNING TYRES AT CHECKPOINT ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING TEAR GAS PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES ISRAELI WATER CANNON SPRAYING WATER TOWARD PROTESTERS ISRAELI ARMY VARIOUS OF CLASHES
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 18:40
- Keywords: clashes Palestinians Israel army prisoner explosion
- Location: AL-BIREH, WEST BANK/ JERUSALEM
- City: AL-BIREH, WEST BANK/ JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9OZT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians protested in Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank on Tuesday (October 1) after a detainee suspected of killing an Israeli teenager in a bomb attack was hospitalized during interrogation by Israeli forces.
In the West Bank city of Al-Bireh, 300 protesters burned tyres and hurled stones at Israeli troops who took up positions in fields nearby. As masked demonstrators blocked roads, the troops responded with tear gas, sound bombs and jets of foul-smelling water in clashes that lasted about three hours.
Around 50 Palestinians demonstrated in Jerusalem before police dispersed the protest and detained three people, a Reuters photographer said.
The protests follow the arrest, detention and later hospitalization of Samer al-Arbid, a suspect in a deadly bombing attack in the West Bank in August.
Al-Arbid, 44, has been held since September 25 on suspicion of orchestrating and carrying out the attack which killed a 17-year-old Israeli girl while she was on a hike with her family near an Israeli settlement.
Palestinian officials have accused the Israeli authorities of torturing al-Arbid during questioning.
Israel's internal security service, the Shin Bet, said on Sunday that during his interrogation al-Arbid said he was feeling unwell and was taken to hospital for examination and treatment.
Arbid's lawyer, Mahmoud Hassan, told Reuters by telephone said al-Arbid was in critical condition "as a result of the severe torture he endured during a lengthy interrogation as a suspect in the bombing."
A hospital spokeswoman declined to comment on al-Arbid's condition and referred further questions to the Shin Beit, which said that the investigation was still underway and that it would therefore provide no further details.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Ismail Khadder/Sinan Abu Mizar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None