- Title: No more munchies; America's first cannabis cafe opens in California
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING IN LINE TO ENTER CANNABIS CAFE CALLED "CAFE LOWELL" VARIOUS OF BILLBOARD ABOVE CAFE ADVERTISING CANNABIS CAFE MAN SMOKING MARIJUANA INSIDE CAFE VARIOUS OF WOMAN SMOKING MARIJUANA AT BAR (SOUNDBITE) (English) ALICIA BREDL, 30-YEAR-OLD, FROM COLORADO, SAYING: "It feels amazing, it's very liberating. I just feels comfortable, everybody here is just very calm and respects each other and we all just have, you know, a purpose of just relaxing and having a good time so it feels amazing, I just feel the good vibes from everybody." PAN OF CANNABIS CAFE TRAY WITH MARIJUANA AND CANNABIS PRODUCTS MAN LOOKING AT MENU (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRIAN RAY THOMPSON, 32-YEARS-OLD, FROM HOUSTON, SAYING: "I just ordered an eighth because I am going to take some home with me and I'm not going to smoke everything here. And then they lent me papers, a grinder, a lighter, everything I need basically to smoke it. So, it's pretty chill, yeah. It's like a regular menu process, so it is pretty amazing." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT CANNABIS CAFE WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) GENERAL MANAGER KEVIN BRADY, SAYING: "So as far as the cafe is concerned we are really excited to open up the first of its kind experience. With opening up in Los Angeles we have an opportunity to create a really destination-driven restaurant that people are really excited about as far as chef Andrea's (Drummer) cooking and cuisine and also integrating, instead of alcohol, integrating cannabis into the dining experience. So, either through vaping, prepackaged edibles or smoking flower, it is something that hasn't been legal for 120 years. So, we are really excited to be able to introduce that back to the public."
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 23:58
- Keywords: Marijuana Cafe West Hollywood Cannabis California Los Angeles
- Location: WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9PS93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hollywood's three-martini lunch may be going up in smoke with the opening on Tuesday (October 1) of the first restaurant in the United States where weed can be openly consumed.
Almost two years after California began allowing sales of recreational cannabis, Lowell Farms: A Cannabis Cafe opened its doors in trendy West Hollywood, offering farm-to-table cuisine alongside vaping, joints, bongs and prepackaged edibles.
"We are excited to be that flagship, that benchmark, to show people that a cannabis business isn't something that is scary," said general manager Kevin Brady.
"It's something that hasn't been legal for 120 years," he added of the restaurant venture, which is funded by cannabis farmers Lowell Herb Co., whose backers include the likes of pop star Miley Cyrus, actor Chris Rock and comedian Sarah Silverman.
While the food served at Lowell Cafe will not be infused with cannabis, diners will be offered the services of a "flower host" who will advise how to pair different strains of marijuana with menu items and roll a joint at the table.
"Each day we will smell and taste the strains of the cannabis and offer pairings, much as you would do with wine pairings," said chef Andrea Drummer.
Californians have been enjoying cannabis-infused food in private homes and at dinner parties since the state began allowing sales of recreational cannabis in January 2018. But Lowell Cafe is the first to open of eight cafes or restaurants that were awarded licenses by West Hollywood for public consumption, and the first in the United States.
The restaurant is aimed beyond Hollywood A-listers.
New Yorker Joy Alison Cohen, who was among the first customers on Tuesday, called the opening a "historic event."
"I've had to fly to Amsterdam to experience this. No more. We have better pot now too, so it is awesome," she said.
"We have families that are excited to come in and share it with their relatives and their grandparents. We have people that have reached out from Russia, Tokyo, Italy who want to plan their vacations to come here specifically for the cafe," said Brady.
The restaurant has an indoor and outdoor dining space and a high-tech air filtration system that managers say will scrub out the smoke and ensure that no diners go home high for free.
"They won't feel like they are walking into a Korean barbecue or a funny stoner comedy," said Brady.
(Production: Jill Serjeant, Krystian Orlinski, Alan Devall, Omar Younis)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None