- Title: Monty Python celebrates 50 years with Flying Circus restoration
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JULY 20, 2014) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MONTY PYTHON TROUPE (L-R PALIN, GILLIAM , ERIC IDLE, JOHN CLEESE AND TERRY JONES), BOWING WITH HANDS TOGETHER FOR FINAL TIME / LEAVING STAGE LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - AUGUST 24, 1995) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) MICHAEL PALIN AND JOHN CLEESE FROM MONTY PYTHON SPEAKING TO MEDIA NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - MARCH 17, 2005) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ORIGINAL MONTY PYTHON MEMBERS (LEFT TO RIGHT) - MICHAEL PALIN, TERRY JONES, ERIC IDLE, TERRY GILLIAM, JOHN CLEESE, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - OCTOBER 15, 2009) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ALL FIVE SURVIVING MEMBERS OF MONTY PYTHON - JOHN CLEESE, TERRY JONES, TERRY GILLIAM, ERIC IDLE AND MICHAEL PALIN ON THE RED CARPET ALONG WITH ACTRESS CAROL CLEVELAND - SIGNIFICANT FEMALE PERFORMER ON MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE ZIEGFELD THEATER, VENUE FOR THE PREMIERE OF THE MONTY PYTHON DOCUMENTARY, "MONTY PYTHON: ALMOST THE TRUTH (THE LAWYER'S CUT)"
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 12:14
- Keywords: Anniversary Graham Chapman Terry Jones John Cleese Monty Python Eric Idle Flying Circus Terry Gilliam Michael Palin
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS/LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS/LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZOMWY5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As part of the celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of British comedy troupe Monty Python a fully restored version of their comedy sketch series 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' has been made,
Terry Jones, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Graham Chapman, who died in 1989, first came together and unleashed their ''silliness'' in 1969 when the original series was aired on BBC One.
"Monty Python's Flying Circus" aired for five years until 1974, and in 1975 they released the cult classic film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
The troupe continued to have success with the 1979 film "Life of Brian" and released another series of sketches in 1983 as "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life"
The 45 restored episodes from "Monty Python's Flying Circus." will be released on blu-ray on Monday (October 7).
On Saturday (October 5), an additional celebration will see hordes of Monty Python fans gather in full Gumby attire in London to attempt to set a Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of people dressed as Gumbies.
The Gumbies were recurring characters in the Monty Python's Flying Circus series.
"It's all so excitingly pointless," said Python Terry Gilliam, who will host the event.
Other events marking the anniversary include a month long season celebrating the troupe at BFI Southbank in London and five new radio specials produced by Michael Palin on BBC Radio 4.
(Production: Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None