- Title: Courtois suffering stomach problem, not anxiety say Real
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (OCTOBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID PLAYERS ON PITCH DURING TRAINING SESSION FORWARD KARIM BENZEMA TRAINING PLAYERS TRAINING VARIOUS WINGER EDEN HAZARD TRAINING PLAYERS TRAINING CENTRE-BACK RAPHAEL VARANE TRAINING PLAYERS TRAINING MIDFIELDERS ISCO AND TONY KROOS TRAINING PLAYERS TRAINING ISCO AND REAL MADRID CAPTAIN SERGIO RAMOS HUGGING, RAMOS SHAKING HANDS WITH WINGER LUCAS VAZQUEZ, RAMOS RUNNING REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE AND ASSISTANT COACH DAVID BETTONI PLAYERS RUNNING IN WARM-UP EXERCISE, FORWARD GARETH BALE AND DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER CASEMIRO MIDFIELDER LUKA MODRIC AND JAMES RODRIGUEZ WARMING UP, ZIDANE AND BETTONI SPEAKING CASEMIRO, HAZARD, JAMES AND BALE WALKING ON PITCH, HAZARD AND JAMES JAMES CHASING BALL, JAMES, HAZARD AND VARANE ZIDANE LEAVING PITCH PLAYERS TRAINING CASEMIRO TRAINING, BALE WAITING MODRIC CHASING BALL PLAYERS ON PITCH ZIDANE ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM AND TAKING A SEAT VARIOUS OF ZIDANE AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "Fair or not fair, it is what it is and he (Courtois) knows it. As you said, he is strong and he knows the situation. The first part of the match the other day was ours so you don't need to give it more thought." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "He was not well. Yes, for sure. He wasn't well, he was a bit ... as can happen sometimes, he was a little, how do you call it? That's it, (his stomach was) upset. I was going to use a word but yes, upset. It can happen. A player can play, things can happen but you can play. At half-time he was not fit to play. (Journalist asking: And why is Courtois unquestionable?) What? (Journalist asking: Why is Courtois unquestionable?) Unquestionable about what, man? Have I said that to you? Nobody is unquestionable, not Courtois, not anyone else. There are 25 of us here." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "Tomorrow the first plays against the second, so that means everything. We know that we will play against a team that is having a good season, like we are, and so what we want is to play a good game." VARIOUS OF NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "We are not doing as badly as what is said outside. This is Real Madrid, it's Real Madrid. Nothing I will say will change anything. We focus on what we can do on the pitch and we have a game tomorrow to demonstrate (our skill) again, and we are first and what we want is to be first." ZIDANE LEAVING
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 13:49
- Keywords: Real Madrid against Granada coach Zinedine Zidane Eden Hazard La Liga soccer Spain
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZON1OF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane defended under-fire goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on Friday (October 4) following criticism for his lacklustre start to the season.
The Belgian was jeered during Tuesday's disappointing 2-2 Champions League draw at home with Club Bruges as the visitors raced into a shock two-goal lead.
He was substituted at half time with an issue that will keep him out of Saturday's top-of-the-table clash with second-placed Granada in La Liga.
In a statement on Friday, Real denied local media reports suggesting the Belgian had been diagnosed with anxiety.
The club said the player was suffering from 'acute gastro-enteritis with dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance', an issue Zidane confirmed.
Alphonse Areola, who replaced Courtois in midweek, will deputise.
Zidane is facing yet another injury crisis in defence ahead of the visit of the newly promoted side after confirming that left back Marcelo, who did not train, will be absent with a hamstring injury.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None