- Title: 'Best script I've ever read' - 'Marriage Story' stars walk red carpet
- Date: 5th October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTORS, SCARLETT JOHANNSON AND ADAM DRIVER, POSING ON RED CARPET VARIOUS OF "MARRIAGE STORY" DIRECTOR, SCREENWRITER AND PRODUCER, NOAH BAUMBACH, POSING WITH JOHANNSON AND DRIVER ON THE RED CARPET JOHANNSON BEING INTERVIEWED JOHANNSON IN HER DRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, SCARLETT JOHANNSON, SAYING: "Yeah, you're right. Relationships are complicated, and there's a lot of, I think disappointment and anger. These characters are in two very different places, you know, one's sort of, kind of moving beyond and the other one sort of needs to catch up, and there's a lot, they're missing each other and this kind of thing that's built up over some time and, you know, it's interesting because as this marriage sort of unravels, what remains between these two people is actually a lot of love, I think, which is what's so unexpected, and I think very touching about this story." JOHANNSON MEDIA / "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, LAURA DERN DERN POSING FOR PHOTOS DERN POSITIONING FOR INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (English) "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, LAURA DERN, SAYING: "You trust your writer because it's honestly the best script I think I've ever read. It was perfect. I mean he ["MARRIAGE STORY" DIRECTOR, SCREENWRITER AND PRODUCER, NOAH BAUMBACH] described how he wanted my character to kick her heels off. You know he's very meticulous as a great playwright is. And so you trust those words. And then he really makes you feel like you have a world of room to invent at the same time which is kind of amazing. And he alongside me, that he really pulled into the collaboration, as he did with Adam and Scarlett too, these characters for a year as he was writing, we dove into research of the world of divorce law in Los Angeles and what it was like and people were very generous with helping us kind of curate the specifics of cases and that was an amazing help." DERN'S DRESS BAUMBACH ON RED CARPET WITH WIFE AND ACTOR, GRETA GERWIG (SOUNDBITE) (English) "MARRIAGE STORY" DIRECTOR, SCREENWRITER AND PRODUCER, NOAH BAUMBACH, SAYING: "Well, I think when you're making a movie, you kind of have to shake out all the movies that maybe were made about this theme or anything like that before and you're making, you know, you're going to war with the army you have, which is me and this cast and I felt pretty confident with this group of actors." CLOSE OF BAUMBACH "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, RAY LIOTTA, ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, RAY LIOTTA, SAYING: "[STANDING WITH DAUGHTER] "It's great because it doesn't happen with every movie. So it's really nice when it does, that people, I mean the buzz being that it's a good movie, it's really entertaining. You definitely get your money's worth, and it'll definitely make people think, it really will. I think it's going to be really interesting, you know, you go on a date, and you go with your wife and you watch the movie, this one you ask questions about, 'what'd you think about what she said during the divorce?' And if you say the wrong answer, you might have a divorce right in the car." LIOTTA AND DAUGHTER POSING "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, AZHY ROBERTSON, ON RED CARPET ROBERTSON BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (English) "MARRIAGE STORY" ACTOR, AZHY ROBERTSON, SAYING" "Even watching the movie, I get how it is. I mean not like fully, but I get the idea and I'm sure the experience is not at all fun. Like it pushes you out of your comfort zone." ROBERTSON POSING SIGN FOR "57th NEW YORK FILM FESTIVAL" VARIOUS OF ADVERTISEMENTS FOR "MARRIAGE STORY"
- Embargoed: 19th October 2019 00:41
- Keywords: Marriage Story Noah Baumbach Scarlett Johannson red carpet Ray Liotta Laura Dern
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZOMIQ5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A movie about a marriage falling apart is hardly new material. But the early reviews as well as the star-studded cast are all in agreement; Noah Baumbach's latest, "Marriage Story" offers a unique and moving glimpse into dissolution.
The director of, "The Squid and the Whale" and, "The Meyerowitz Stories," is back to explore the struggles of family life whose members have roots on America's coasts. But with spouses moving in different directions, an amicable separation grows sour.
The early reviews are in. "Exquisite," according to "The Daily Beast." The leads, played by Scarlett Johannson and Adam Driver are a "thrilling double act," according to "Vanity Fair." For its part, "The Independent" says it is a "break up film for the millennial era."
In speaking to Reuters, the cast had a similar view.
"It's honestly the best script I think I've ever read. It was perfect," Laura Dern, who plays one of the divorce lawyers, told Reuters.
She went on to describe level of research that went into the making of the movie.
"We dove into research of the world of divorce law in Los Angeles and what it was like and people were very generous with helping us kind of curate the specifics of cases and that was an amazing help."
For his part, Ray Liotta said the film is so affecting that if its viewing isn't handled correctly, it could prove lethal.
"You go on a date, and you go with your wife and you watch the movie, this one you ask questions about, 'what'd you think about what she said during the divorce?' And if you say the wrong answer, you might have a divorce right in the car," he told Reuters.
Perhaps the movie's youngest cast member, Azhy Robertson, who plays the couple's young son, best summed up the essence of the movie's dangerous subject matter.
"The experience is not at all fun," the nine-year old told Reuters.
The movie will appear in select theaters for month starting on November 6. It will then be available for streaming on Netflix starting on December 6.
(Production by: Dan Fastenberg and Hussein al Waaile)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None