- Title: Macron pays tribute to four police employees killed in knife attack
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) POLICEMEN CARRYING COFFIN OF ONE OF VICTIMS OF POLICE PREFECTURE KNIFE ATTACK POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR COFFINS FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING TOWARDS COFFINS MACRON STANDING IN FRONT OF COFFINS WITH FRENCH PRIME MINISTER, EDOUARD PHILIPPE, AND INTERIOR MINISTER, CHRISTOPHE CASTANER MACRON STANDING IN FRONT OF COFFINS
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 11:36
- Keywords: France knife attack police prefecture Emmanuel Macron ceremony homage terrorism
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001B08LJYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
French President Emmanuel Macron paid homage on Tuesday (October 8) to four police employees killed during a knife attack at the Paris force headquarters last week.
The assailant, an IT worker at the premises, killed three police officers and an administrative worker with a knife last week, before being shot dead by police.
Walking solemnly under the pouring rain, Macron saluted the fallen agents' coffins as the French national anthem played.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner conferred the Legion of Honor, France's most prestigious medal, upon the fallen police agents.
Initial investigations have revealed that the Martinique-born man, a convert to Islam, had contacts with individuals likely belonging to an Islamist Salafist movement, according to prosecutors.
Macron said France must develop a society of vigilance in its fight against Islamist militancy.
"Let's gather together, incessantly, against Islamism, against this deadly ideology, which does not recognise neither law nor our right nor our way of life," Macron said.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None