- Title: First ever Emirati astronaut thanks Arab nation
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: STAR CITY, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) SOYUZ CREW COSMONAUT ALEXEY OVCHININ, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES SPACE FLIGHT PARTICIPANT HAZZAA ALI ALMANSOORI ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE GCTC (GAGARIN COSMONAUT TRAINING CENTER) LOGO NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNITED ARAB EMIRATES SPACE FLIGHT PARTICIPANT, HAZZAA ALI ALMANSOORI, SAYING: "Thanks for the leadership who created a stimulating environment, the communication was very big from outside the Arab world. Thanks for all the Arab nation for the support." FLAGS OF RUSSIA AND UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNITED ARAB EMIRATES SPACE FLIGHT PARTICIPANT, HAZZAA ALI ALMANSOORI, SAYING: "I remember when I just undocked, the thing that I really felt was "goodbye my friends on board of the station." So I will miss the crew on board of the station the most, these mankind, from international countries, working together for mankind. This is the most (strongest) thing that I will miss." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN COSMONAUT, ALEXEY OVCHININ, SAYING: "It is the first time that we had robot FEDOR on board of the space station and we conducted experiments with him. We worked with it, we reached the planned goals. It became clear that the robots can perform various tasks on board. Of course the model that we had was just the beginning, the first step. There will be others with more functions, but it is interesting and I think it is worth to be continued." MEDIA HAZZAA ALI ALMANSOORI, ALEXEY OVCHININ SHAKING HANDS AND POSING FOR PHOTO
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 12:28
- Keywords: Hazzaa Ali Almansoori first Emirati austranaut space exploration ISS news conference after landing
- Location: STAR CITY, RUSSIA
- City: STAR CITY, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Science,Space Exploration
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0DMG5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The first person from the UAE to fly in space Hazzaa Ali Almansoori said on Wednesday (October 9) he was thankful to all the Arab nation and would miss ISS crew.
Almansoori spent eight days on the station and covered 128 orbits of Earth with a journey of 3.1 million miles, becoming the first astronaut from the UAE. He launched on September 25 with NASA astronaut Jessica Meir and Oleg Skripochka of Roscosmos.
Russian cosmonaut Alexey Ovchinin in his turn said he saw future potential in robots on orbit after working with the Skybot F-850 (FEDOR) at ISS. Russian space agency Roscosmos plans to develop robots that could perform tasks in hazardous environments. Ovchinin spent 203 days on the station, orbiting Earth 3,248 times and traveling 86.1 million miles, according to NASA.
(Production: Mikhail Antonov, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None