- Title: Street fires erupt in Barcelona in fourth day of Catalan protest
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS MARCHING IN DIRECTION OF A BLAZE PROTESTERS TAKING PHOTOS OF BLAZE PROTESTERS GATHERED AROUND BLAZE CHANTING, "INDEPENDENCE" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED AROUND BLAZE SINGING VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS TRYING TO EXTINGUISH STREET FIRE STREET FIRE PROTESTER NEAR A FIRE THROWING OBJECT IN DIRECTION OF BUILDING PASSER-BY WALKINGQUICKLY PAST DEMONSTRATORS VARIOUS STREET FIRES BURNING PROTESTER NEAR A FIRE KICKING DEBRIS PROTESTERS AND LOCALS WALKING ON RAMBLA CATALUNYA VARIOUS OF STREET FIRES PROTESTERS WITH THEIR FACES COVERED WALKING PAST STREET FIRE BLAZE IN FRONT OF MANGO FASHION SHOP VARIOUS OF TABLES AND CHAIRS BURNING IN FRONT OF SHOP VARIOUS OF CHAIRS BURNING AND SHOP DISPLAY IN THE BACKGROUND PROTESTERS WALKING ON RAMBLA CATALUNYA PROTESTERS TIPPING OVER RUBBISH CONTAINER PROTESTERS STANDING ON RUBBISH CONTAINER WATCHING BLAZE PROTESTERS GATHERED AROUND BLAZE WHILE ONE PROTESTER POSES FOR PHOTO IN FRONT OF FIRE FIRE ENGINE ARRIVING VARIOUS OF FIRE ENGINE AT SCENE WHERE PROTESTERS ARE GATHERED WATCHING BLAZE CROWDS OF PROTESTERS WALKING ON RAMBLA CATALUNYA
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 21:59
- Keywords: Spain Catalonia catalan protest separatists violent protests riot police unity protest Spanish unity
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1HLWEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters in Barcelona set fire to cafe tables and chairs and tipped over rubbish containers on Thursday (October 17) evening after thousands had demonstrated peacefully throughout most of the day.
It was the region's fourth day of protests that have led to the worst sustained street violence in Spain in decades after Catalan leaders were sentenced to lengthy jail terms for their roles in a 2017 bid for independence.
Young people draped in Catalan flags congregated peacefully, tossing balls and skipping rope. But later the mood turned ugly, with protesters starting fires on the fashionable Rambla de Catalunya street at the heart of the tourist district.
Earlier in the day, thousands of students took to the streets, some hurling eggs at police holding riot shields. Marches from around the region are due to converge on Barcelona on Friday and unions have called a general strike for the day.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None