- Title: Mixed reactions as Barcelona cleans up after night of violence
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** TOURISTS ON BARCELONA CITY TOUR BUS DRIVING IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) 73-YEAR-OLD BRITISH TOURIST FROM MANCHESTER, PHIL LARDER, SAYING: "We came back to the hotel up here at half past ten and there were fires, and obviously we'd seen dark smoke from over there. We're staying at the hotel H10 so we had a good view from the balcony and I just found it quite interesting really. I thought that the police dealt with it exceptionally well and we don't... well I don't feel afraid, we feel very comfortable. We felt comfortable last night to be honest." DAMAGED PHONE BOX ON THE GROUND MOTORBIKE SPLASHED WITH SPRAYED COLOUR GRAFFITI READING (English) "FUCK POLICE" MAN CROSSING STREET / POLICE OFFICER DIRECTING TRAFFIC IN BACKGROUND WOMAN TAKING PICTURES WITH PHONE TOURISTS WITH LUGGAGE GATHERED DAMAGED BUS STOP WITH GRAFFITI READING (Spanish) "LAWLESS CITY" DAMAGED SCREEN VIEW OF PILLAR ON PLACA CATALUNYA
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 10:45
- Keywords: Spain Catalonia catalan separatists pro-independence riot police catalan protests violent protesters aftermath
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA003B1RIM9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY (SHOT 15)
Severe signs of damage were seen on the streets of Barcelona's city centre on Saturday (October 19), after the city suffered its worst night of urban unrest in decades on Friday (October 18).
Masked youths blocked roads with blazing garbage bins and hurled rocks at security forces. Police responded firing repeated rounds of smoke grenades and tear gas.
There were mixed feelings from tourists in Barcelona after witnessing the violence in the Catalan capital.
A local resident and pharmacy manager said she could no longer understand what was happening and that the authorities should "know, explain and prevent" the situation.
Health authorities said 182 people across the region were hurt, including 152 in Barcelona. Some 17 police also needed hospital treatment in the city.
(Production: Rodrigo Gutierrez, Luis Felipe Fernandez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None