- Title: New Zealandâ€™s Moâ€™unga calls 46-14 win over Ireland â€œa lot of funâ€
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) NEW ZEALAND FLYHALF, RICHIE MO'UNGA, SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND FLYHALF, RICHIE MO'UNGA, SAYING: "I think to sum it up in one word, it was just a lot of fun. It was just fun. To be able to put pressure on an Irish team and to put things into place that we practised along the week, that is what footie is about. You practice in the week and put in the hard yards and then once it comes to Saturday you're able to express yourself. I think we did that in the first 20 (minutes), which meant we could put pressure on them." MO'UNGA SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND FLYHALF, RICHIE MO'UNGA, WHEN ASKED ABOUT ACROBATICALLY KEEPING JONNY SEXTON KICK IN PLAY, SAYING: "We have been doing a bit of pool recovery the last couple of weeks and we have had the volleyball amongst the pool so I think that was just a credit to the volleyball that has been in the pool. It just something that happened really fast so I just got up and gave it a go. That's is all I could really do. Just volleyball, that's it, that's the answer. Not that I was tall enough to play volleyball but it is great mate, it is great." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND FLYHALF, RICHIE MO'UNGA, SAYING: "It is really satisfying, it is hard to explain how happy we are because after the game the boys are knackered. As I touched on earlier, you put all these plans in and put everything into practice during the week so for us to come out and perform like that is satisfying. Itâ€™s a relief and it is important for us to make the most of it and not take these moments for granted and celebrate it. Then come Monday, we've got a new challenge ahead." VARIOUS OF IRELAND SCRUMHALF, CONOR MURRAY, SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) IRELAND SCRUMHALF, CONOR MURRAY, SAYING: "Really tough, really tough to take. We envisaged the game going a little bit different. We didn't start well and gave them access into the game, which made it really difficult for us. It made us maybe chase the game a little bit. I thought we had a couple of chances to put a few scores on the board before halftime, definitely, and probably before then, but it didn't turn out that way which is tough. A couple of their tries came from turnover ball and counter attack, which they are lethal on, which is disappointing because those turnovers came from a place when we were in a pretty promising position." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) IRELAND SCRUMHALF, CONOR MURRAY, SAYING: "If we're realistic about it, we were beaten by a better team today and it is really tough to take on this stage. It is the last World Cup for Joe (Schmidt), Greg (Feek) and obviously Rory (Best) and the last time this group will be together. That will be tough to take but what remains is a really good bunch of people, players and staff." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) IRELAND SCRUMHALF, CONOR MURRAY, SAYING: "I think we know ourselves what to do in these games but they are just a great side and they turned up today. My immediate reaction is that they started really well. When I looked at the scoreboard after 20 minutes, we knew it was going to be difficult. We certainly didn't give up and had our chances to maybe get back into the game but the start is everything in international rugby and these lads do it more often than not." #RWC LOGO (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND LOCK, SCOTT BARRETT, TALKING ABOUT DEATH OF GRANDFATHER, SAYING: "It has been a tough week for the family and there is plenty of emotion in behind that, especially seeing Dad coming over last night. To do it for grandad was pretty cool." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW ZEALAND LOCK, SCOTT BARRETT, SAYING: "Yeah, I think we can take some confidence from that. We like to start the game well and I think we did that. And yeah, looking forward to next week. I think we have England by the sounds (of it). We will have to rest up, recover well and do a bit of homework over the next few days and get excited about another big week."
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 15:26
- Keywords: New Zealand Ireland Rugby World Cup RWC All Blacks Richie Mo'unga Conor Murray Scott Barrett
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RGLKV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS WHITE FLASHES
New Zealand sent out an emphatic message that they will not relinquish their Rugby World Cup title lightly as they outclassed Ireland 46-14 in their last eight-clash on Saturday (October 19) and set up a semi-final clash with England.
The three-times champions, who ran in seven tries and had effectively secured victory by halftime, went into the encounter having lost two of their last three matches against the Irish.
But this superb performance reflected the All Blacks overall record against the men in green, now standing at 29 wins, two defeats and one draw.
Following the win, flyhalf Richie Mo'unga said the game was, "just a lot of fun" and that the side was looking forward to their next challenge when they face England in Yokohama on October 26.
England, who thrashed Australia 40-16 earlier on Saturday, will likely provide a better test for the holders.
Hosts Japan face South Africa, and Wales meet France in the remaining quarters on Sunday (October 20).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None