- Title: Businesses vandalised during Catalan unrest
- Date: 19th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED SHOP AFTER UNREST, WORKERS BOARDING UP BROKEN WINDOWS DAMAGED SHOP WINDOW VARIOUS OF WORKERS BOARDING UP SHOP WINDOWS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MAKE UP ARTIST, FRANCISCA GARRIDO, SAYING: "We contacted contractors to put up wooden boards over the (damaged) shop windows after how they (referring to protesters) left it." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MAKE UP ARTIST FRANCISCO, JAVIER AGUADO, SAYING: "To secure the shop so that it doesn't get worse." WORKERS COVERING UP THE BROKEN SHOP WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MAKE UP ARTIST FRANCISCO JAVIER AGUADO SAYING: "We are used to demonstrations, but not to vandalism. That's what we were afraid of." BROKEN SHOP WINDOW VARIOUS OF DAMAGED PHONE BOX ON THE GROUND
- Embargoed: 2nd November 2019 13:56
- Keywords: Spain Catalan pro-independence separatist workers catalan business catalan unrest violent protests
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1RIQ87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Catalan business owners were counting the costs on Saturday (October 19) after shops were vandalised in some of the worst violence Barcelona experienced in decades.
Masked youths blocked roads with blazing garbage bins and hurled rocks at security forces, who responded by firing repeated rounds of smoke grenades and tear gas.
Shop windows were also smashed in the violence and retailers were forced to board them on Saturday to prevent further damage.
Some 300 people have been arrested in clashes that have flared throughout the region since Monday, when Spain's Supreme Court handed down lengthy prison terms to nine Catalan leaders who staged a banned referendum on independence in 2017.
(Production Credit: Marco Trujillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None