- Title: Lavrov: both Kurds and Syria interested in Russia to build dialogue
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV, BULGARIA'S FOREIGN MINISTER EKATERINA ZAHARIEVA DURING MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINSTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "Dialogue between the Kurds and Damascus is needed. And we are ready to encourage this dialogue. Both sides expressed their interest in Russia's help in this process. And, of course, dialogue between Turkey and the Syrian Arab Republic is also needed, where we are also ready to play a supportive role, to encourage such direct contacts." LAVROV, ZAHARIEVA DURING MEETING
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 10:06
- Keywords: Kurds-Damascus Syria security Russia Lavrov Tukey-Syria Russia Syria Kurds-Damascus dialogue
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21JPDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday (October 21) that both Kurds and Syria expressed their interest in Russia's help to set up a dialogue.
Lavrov said direct contact between Turkey and Syria is also necessary in order to stabilize the situation in the region.
The Turkish offensive against U.S.-allied Kurdish forces in the northeast of Syria opens one of the biggest new fronts in years in an eight-year-old civil war that has drawn in global powers.
Russia emerged a leading power broker in Syria after it launched a military intervention there in 2015, turning the tide of the war in favour of its ally in Damascus, President Bashar al-Assad.
(Production: Lev Sergeev, Anastasia Adasheva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None